two year old anatomy

My dd is two and we have taught her all the parts of her body. Well she was with my mother-in law the other day and my dd told her that the buckle on her carseat was hurting her "gina". My mother-in law acted like we were horrible for teaching her where her vagina is and what its called. She said she is to young to know that. Do you think we have taught her to much? What am I supposed to say when she says she is to young?

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ignore her, that's your kid teach her to call it what you want, me and my little girl call hers a tootie lol she'll say "gotta wipe my tootie or my "toot toot"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• No, your mother in law is a prude, you did good
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think you did perfectly fine and you don't have to change anything. I think there are too many peopole teaching their kids the wrong name for their genitals and there is no shame in using the proper name.
    This joke I remember: Whenever the young boy needed to go pee, his parents told him to say he needed to whistle. One night, at a sleep over at his grandpa, as they were falling asleep, he told his grandpa he needed to whistle, his grandpa told him he needed to be quiet but that he could whistle in his ear....

Please, keep doing what you've been doing and hopefully, you won't have to have the talk with your mother in law!!!
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 9:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Giving genitals silly names can often lead to confusion with babysitters and teachers when there is something wrong, or hurting them - so teaching the proper names for body parts is always a good thing to do.

Although, I don't teach my daughter that her genitals are called her 'vagina' because that is just incorrect. She has a vulva (which is more than likely what the car seat was hurting), labia, etc.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I taught my kids correct body parts coming into toddlerhood but told them in public to just call their vaginas and penis, their privates if they ever hurt. At home we spoke correctly but in public I just felt it wasn't necessary to hear a toddler, preschooler saying their rectum or vagina, whatever, hurt cause we waited so long for a waiter in a restaurant. Being kids mine would randomly bring up body parts in public and we'd just say if you're hurting tell us about your privates. If you're playing now's not the time. And they grew up well versed in all parts male and female between a son and two daughters. They're all now teens and twenties.

Bottom line is child is yours, you're not hurting child. It's better to be knowledgeable growing up than kept in the dark!!!! Enjoy your dd!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that its okay. Although I think vagina is better than my dd talking about her "vulva" and "clitoris", but thanks anyway ladysavage.
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i would have tought her privates instead,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think you did good momma! Kids need to know their parts, just like nose and arm. We taught out son to call it his "Peenie" I don't know what we would teach a girl, probably just like you did. But never let anyone tell you are doing wrong, as long as your kids aren't hurt or hurting other people, you are doing great!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2009