Is facebook ok for an 11 year old in 6th grade?

What are your thoughts on facebook? My 11 year old has a facebook account and I'm not sure if I should let him. He didn't tell me he was making a page but showed me his page and has given me his password so that I can check it from time to time. I personally don't have one but I am familiar with it. What is your opinion on this?

oldmomnewwife

Asked by oldmomnewwife at 9:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• NO, there is know reason a 11 year old should be on facebook.

Answer by louise2 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My answer is no.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Our 13 yr old doesn't even have access to the internet unless I'm sitting right there with him. My answer is NO...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• No! This way out of his age limit. There are other site's for him to join besides facebook..... If he can afford a computer than, he can have his facebook. LOL...... Do some research to find him a great place to explore and learn. I really wouldn't trust facebook with a 11yr. old. They crashed alot of computers not to long ago......
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have three kids, midtwenties into teens. To this day none of them have either myspace or facebook. My middle and youngest are living at home and I didn't allow that for my oldest when he was at home and still don't.

Not only have I never allowed facebook/myspace, I don't allow i m ing, a i m, i chat. Kids and mean and petty on the internet. I only allow phones calls and emails accounts with my name on it, gathering in person. And i've always met my kids' friends parents too. All three of my kids are very socially active plus good grades.

Email can scan pictures into it but for some reason kids are nicer in emails.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Wait another year.Honestly facebook is boring. Who care what you do every day? Really .........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Not a good idea at all. Random people send friend invites. FB is just one more way for sick people to connect with minors. Your son may think he's making friends with another 11 year old on FB that could really be a 45 year old sicko.

Also, there are quizes and games that float around on FB and some are not appropriate for 11 year old eyes.

The internet is a dangerous place. An 11 year old does not need a FB account and I don't feel that he should have had enough unsupervised internet time to have even created the account in the first place.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Honestly Facebook is pretty innocuous...You can control who sees your son's page...but I am surprised he has the attention for it...Myspace is certainly a no no...it's really the advertising that is not for kids...I think Facebook is a lot more strict when it comes to content...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 10:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Not yet but when my daughter and my niece,5 months older,were allowed one my sister had them link to her .page when she turns on her computer.My sister works so she is more consistently on than I am.She did a quick scan every day She seldom found anything but if she did she would call me and I would do a deep search.They knew we were watching.Then we,adults including husband,joined and most of her friends asked me to be friends.I don't spend a lot of time there but do check stuff out.It may depend on his group of friends when older because there are a lot of mom friends with this crowd.It is too boring some days you know about every dog that got walked and who they saw while walking the dog.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009