oh man tough times.. Anyone go back to work 4 weeks after their first baby was born? is this do able? DH doesnt think its enough recovery time...

Baby is due in two weeks, our first baby and poor DH was let off his temp job position 3 months earlier than he was supposed to because the warehouse no longer had the funds to keep the temporary technicians around aka DH he came home and looked so lost and worried yesterday morning. I am unemployed with just about NO experience except my dang hs diploma haha we plan on moving back in with his mom temporarily who lives back where we used to before he got this job that was supposed to turn into a permanent position but we cant wait around for 3 months for a confirmation so we are moving back "home" where i really hope i can start working 4 weeks after our baby is born his stay at home dad has offered to help watch her and so has my mother we have one month left here before we move in with his mom and i hope we can both find jobs before that timeline so that we are more help than burden..

armymum1013

Asked by armymum1013 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• That is really a personal question. I have recovered very well with both of my births, and a month would have been no problem. In fact, I was providing home daycare when my daughter was home and opened back up, full time, 9 days after her birth. If going back quickly is what you think you need to do to keep your family afloat, you need to take care of yourself now. Unless you are put on bedrest or something like that, get out for some walks and whatnot! A pool would be even better if one is available to you. I swear by walking when pregnant- it makes labor and recovery much much easier.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OH, I forgot to add, that also depends on the type of work you do. Something like waitressing may be difficult but a desk job would be easier.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Agreed with IrishMomma. I went back to work two weeks after my third child was born. It was in no way easy, but I really needed the money and I made it work out. I work a desk job, so I know that it was probably a lot easier than someone who is on her feet all day.

I agree about starting to prepare your body now. Walk, swim, do whatever you are able to do to keep yourself in good shape now. The better shape you can be in beforehand, the better recovery will be afterward.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm not sure how long it will take YOU to recover but I would hate to see you away from the baby at such a young age. The baby needs that time with you to establish relationships with other family members. If you pass the baby off to someone he/she doesnt know too well and if you do it for LONG periods of time, he/she may start tocling more to that person than to you. And that will crush you. I know you probably dont plan on spending YEARS in your parents house but if the baby was like 1 or 2 he/she could start calling other paople mommy. That's horrible. My point is... try not to spend too much time away from the baby. I understand if you don't have a choice and you have to work. I'm just warning you since you said it was your first. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Some employers will not allow you to come back until you bring your doctors note from your 6 week visit giving you permission to resume your duties. Mine wouldn't.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think physically we can do anything we put our minds to. It would be an emotional thing for me. But you will see when you hold your darling little baby in your arms, you will do anything for him/her. As a parent you do what you have to do for your family and it is never easy. What is important is the love you share as a family. Its a blessing that his Mom is there for you both. Remember that God never gives us more than we can handle.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have a friend that had her daughter on Monday and was back to work on Wensday... And she was a server, on her feet for hours. She only took off a total of 5 days to have her baby...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i make plenty of money off my cpu at home in my living room watching my two year old and 7 month old. i tell alot of people about this company and they dont believe me. they say oh' well you paid to get in its a scam. well i paid to loose weight because having four kids did work on my body and my heart. i now eat healthy and sell the companies product. not only that. i will be writing off my gas receipts and my livingroom because i work from there and hold showcases there showing befores and afters. i walk through my neighbor to the park and talk to moms and they get involved because we all have babies, bills and no time to listen to someone tell us we cannot spend time with our babies. we are a team and we love the team support.
    elisha757

Answer by elisha757 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• check out www.ardysslife.com/ebrowngeorge we were on nbc and abc news and you could youtube it. the company is great.
    elisha757

Answer by elisha757 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It's going to depend on how your delivery and healing afterwards goes. Physically, I probably could have made it back to work 4 weeks after my youngest ones were born. I tore badly when my oldest was born and got somewhere around 30 stitches, and I was still very stiff, sore and itchy 4 weeks later and going back to work would have been extremely difficult. I would try to plan for at least six weeks off after the birth if you can make it that extra two weeks and give yourself that much time to recover if you need it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2009