Anemia...

I just got my test results back yesterday, and my hemoglobin level is .4 lower than the lowest. I read up on it and it means I'm anemic. I'm currently 5 weeks and 4 days along. My question is: If any of you were diagnosed as anemic in early pregnancy, what did you have to do to bring up your iron levels, and did you have any complications? I am really worrying because I read on 1 site that being diagnosed early on has a 48% chance of preterm delivery and or complications in the pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had severe anemia during pregnany (and am still anemic, but much less so now 2 years after her birth) - at first I tried getting my iron levels up through my diet - didn't work.
    Next I tried the liquid iron supplements - didn't work.

Lastly I decided to take Galfer tablets, they worked great, I still take 1 a day, and they keep my iron levels up great.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• (Oh, you may not have Galfer where you are, but ask your doc for something similar - the capsules seem to work the best)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Slow FE works with less consipation than regular iron suppliments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have always been anemic. I had my son about 4 months ago. I had a tough pregnancy but it was not because of the anemia. I also have a heart condition that causes me to pass out. But i had to take iorn suplements durring my pregnancy and i still have to take them now. I also had trouble with my delivery and had to have an emergency c-section but i belive that was due to me passing out. Because i passed out so often i think that is what caused my pacental abruption. 60% of the placenta was detached and my uturus was full of blood. The did the c-section and told my husband before the surgery that either me or my son might not make it out. But we both did fine. I also had my son at 34 weeks. But like i said i think my problems with my pregnancy was due to my heart condition. Good luck with your pregnancy and just make sure you take iron suplements. Those help alot.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Try Slow-FE, it's an iron supplement. I am having my second baby in December and was highly anemic for the first pregnancy also, and delivered right on time. And, this pregnancy is going well. I do suggest that you try to get your iron levels up though before delivery, 'cause you lose alot of blood with the delivery and can pass out if still highly anemic.
    Sharde88

Answer by Sharde88 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2009