How old does he have to be?

My son has taken to rolling on to his side when he's sleeping. He's only three months old and the doctors say to put him on his back. Is it OK now that he's a little older? If not, any recommendations on how to keep him on his back?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 9:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest was a side sleeper from the time she could sleep on her side. Lay him down on his back but I agree that if he rolls himself on to his side don't worry about it. Make sure there is nothing that is in front of his face and get a good night sleep.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 11:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my son has always been a tummy sleeper, he wouldn't sleep for more than an hour (if that long!) on his back...he just didn't like it.
    I say let your baby sleep how he's comfortable, he'll get more, quality sleep.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my middle was a tummy sleeper she would not sleep any other way.

if he's rolling himself into that position and is happy....don't fight it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If your baby rolls onto his side or tummy on his own during sleep, there is no need to wake him to reposition. If it really worries you, there are sleep positioners you can buy to try to keep him on his back, but there is controversy about those.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 9:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Put him down on his back. If he's old enough to roll to a different position, then you don't have to move him back to his back.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You can either keep rolling him back over to his back and neither of you get any sleep...or you can let him sleep as he's comfortable.

All of mine slept on their tummies from day one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If the baby rolls their themselves then just make sure there is nothing he could get into like blankets or bumpers or whatever to suffocate and let him be. My youngest was a tummy sleeper and as soon as she could roll at around 3.5 months that is where she slept and still does at 28 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009