How long did you bleed after giving birth?

I am 12 days post partum and last nite it got real light..today I'm not bleeding.
The nurse told me I would bleed for weeks after.

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine lasted weeks. For a day or two I'd have nothing and just when I thought I was back to normal, I'd bleed again.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I bled for 2-6 weeks, depending on the birth. It's a good sign that you are healing well. ;) It can start back up again if you push yourself too hard.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think everyone is different babe.  You might not bleed anymore, it might start again.  If you are concerned about it then talk to your Dr. or call the nurse hotline just to be on the safe side.  I only bled for one week after my second baby and everything was fine and normal. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I agree that everyone is different as well as every time you give birth. With my first I bled for three weeks. With my second, four weeks.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Mine was 5-6 weeks.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 11:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i'm at 5 weeks and im still bleeding i have stopped twice for about two days each and started back up. But i had a c-section IDK how long u bleed with a VB
    kat324

Answer by kat324 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my bleeding stopped at exactly 6 weeks (this is my 1st child), but i also had a lot of tearing during labor - not sure if that contributed to the length of bleeding
    WendyMaMa

Answer by WendyMaMa at 5:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I would think honestly that it depends on how much tearing you had, if you required stitches, etc.

I lucked out-- very little tearing for a VB (granted we were a full month early), and I never had the epidural, either. Keep in mind though I DID have a 2-bag blood transfusion and was considered Anemic a few hours after having my son.

Here it is 11 days later and I'm still bleeding a bit on and off like a medium-light period. Here's to hoping next week will be the last week, if at all.
    Narakyndryn

Answer by Narakyndryn at 11:24 AM on Oct. 24, 2009