Are baby garter snakes in any way dangerous?

Ours escaped from it's tank. I'm *pretty sure* it's trapped in my bedroom. But [just incase] if it is loose in our home, it wouldn't cause us any harm, right?

We just got it yesterday [hubby found it outside of course] so I haven't done much research yet.

o0laurie.love0o

Asked by o0laurie.love0o at 9:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pets

• It's not poisonous, but it can bite. My son got bit by a garter snake he was playing with a couple of weeks ago, and it left two small puncture wounds. We just disinfected them and they healed up fine. But it's not going to bite you unless you are handling it, it is going to just try to stay away from you.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• They do bite. If it bites, like in the eye, that could be serious. If it feels threatened (cornered) it will strike out and bite. Trust me, know this!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• They aren't venomous, but they are wild animals and will bite if they are cornered. They're not aggressive and would rather hide, but I would wear gardening gloves or something if you need to grab for it while getting it out of the house or back into the tank!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I played with garter snakes my whole childhood--ones I found and caught out in the wild. I never got bitten by one. I think the danger could be over-exaggerated here.
    Anonymous

• oH yes very dangerous. Read this journal. lol

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1533862&posted=1
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Anything that has teeth can and, if it feels threatened, will bite. Does it hurt when a garter snake bites? No. Is it venemous? No. But be certain it IS a garter snake. So many people are bitten by venemous snakes that they had confused for harmless snakes. Snakes are beautiful interesting creatures! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Garter snakes or Garden snakes (as I knew them by growing up) are harmless and great pets as far as snakes go. Hopefully you find it and get it back in it's tank, you or your kids are more likely to hurt it then its going to hurt you or them.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 11:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2009