Is a hamster considered to be a pet?

I live in an apartment where no pets are allowed, but I would really like to have a hamster. Is a hamster considered to be a pet?

mommyofJames08

Asked by mommyofJames08 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, why wouldn't it be, any animal that is domesticated is a pet.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yes, but when apartments say "no pets" they usually mean no cats or dogs. hampsters are easy to clean up after so I'm sure they'd be ok with it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• No. It's considered a family member.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Ask your managment. Look in your lease.
    IMO they are.

Answer by louise2 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yes but so are goldfish and what landlord would tell someone they can't have a pet fish? I don't think itd be a big deal considering it is mostly in cage.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Check your lease and/or talk to your landlord. Other pets besides cats and dogs can create mess and smell, especially rodents. A lot of landlords do mean NO pets when they say no pets.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yeah I think they are because if they get loose they will chew up everything! Check with your landlord though just to make sure!
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'd say they are...
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I agree with the pp who say to speak to your landlord first but just a word of advice... Hamsters bite & if your getting something so your kids will play with it I don't suggest a hamster. I know a lot of people will think this is 'gross' but rats are a much better pet. They don't bite and are very laid back. The only difference is they are 'shunned' by society as being gross and hamsters aren't. If you get one from the pet store they are just as clean as hamsters and better for kids as pets. I've had rats my whole life after our first 3 hamsters bit us. The rats also don't escape as much as hamsters, in fact out of all the rats we've had only one escaped and that was bc my brother took it fishing on a boat and it jumped into the water, none got out of their cages. Just some info before you decide to buy.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My landlord says in his no-pet apartments that anything you have must be in a tank and must be able to survive 5 min under water (turtles, fish, ect). That being said, he is a pushover and if you look at him sadly, he will agree to a pet fee instead as long as the carpets aren't new.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2009