At what age did your child go from sleeping in a crib to sleeping in a toddler bed/daybed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm thinking about this too. I've been told "when they can climb out of the crib" move them to a toddler bed. Our crib converts to a toddler, so I planned to convert around 2 years old. (DS is 20 months now). We have his bedroom gated...so there is no reason NOT to ...I might even do it sooner, so he can entertain himself better when he wakes up before us.
    It's really up to you and a matter of "containment". Our son sleeps in the bed with us a lot lately for the last stretch of sleep (BAD teething) so he's totally used to climbing out of a big bed. Just childproof his room as best you can and toddler him up I say!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• None of mine have slept in a toddler bed.  I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old and they prefer twin beds instead of toddler beds.  I think it's because they were use to sleeping with me in our bed and the toddler beds don't feel the same.  They still sleep with me most of the time since their dad works nights and I prefer for them to be close (for those "just in case" things that happen) but they will nap in their beds and do better than they did when I got them toddler beds.  I think my son was about 2 when he first wanted to try sleeping by himself.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• @ 18 months (she was climbing INTO her crib) and if we would have the room, It would have been a twin bed instead of a toddler
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Regular bed at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• 2yo, straight from crib to twin beds
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 10:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• moved to toddler bed at about 18 months. She wasn't climbing out or anything, just thought she was ready. She moved w/o any problems, jsut falling out a few times. The crib is a toddler bed, so we used that rather than a twin bed so we'd get our money out of the crib! Also, it was much easier for her to get in and out of so she felt like a big girl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I was told a year (by my sister, who's oldest is the easiest child in creation) so thats what we did and it was a NIGHTMARE. Fights every night, wandering in the middle of the night, throwing toys over the babygate, ahhh. Wait till they are older and ready. My sisters second child is much more normal and guess what, they had to go back to the crib after trying the toddler bed for a few weeks.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thanks ladies, this has been very helpful :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2009