What Formula to use for reflux?

Well my DS has his 1 month appointment tomorrow and I plan on bringing this up then but just wanted some ideas on formulas to run by my DS's pedi. We are using Enfamil Premium Lipil right now and I know babies spit up(this is my 3rd baby) but my DS literally spits up from the time you feed him till he's ready to eat again. It's not your regular spitting though, it's more like blowing out of his mouth and splattering everywhere. He's always restless, irritable can't sleep well. He's not constipated but is real gassy. He also coughs alot and sometimes chokes on his bottle(I use Playtex vent air with slow nipple). I just wanted to know if I should bring up reflux with my doc and maybe what other moms used for their babies in a similar situation. What formula worked best for you? I will discuss with my pedi first before I switch. Just wanted some ideas. Thanks!

jasey929

Asked by jasey929 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Soy, or the Sensitivity
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Enfamil AF
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It sounds like you just described my DD. Shes now 20 months but from birth until around 6 months that was her perfectly. She had GERD (gastro esphogial reflux diesese ) sorry if the spelling is off. We tried 5 different types of formula and 6 different kind of bottles. My life savers were: Enfamil Prosobee ( soy ) and Playtex Drop In bottles ( the ones with the bag ). As soon as we started on those 2 at the same time it was like night and day difference. Also another help is do not lay him flat, always have him at a little incline, during feedings, being help and also bed time. You can buy a sleeping wedge at most stores pretty cheap and it helped soo much! They also reccommended that we put rice in her bottles but that didnt really help much. Not until she was older. Enfamil also has a formula called Enfamil AR it worked good for a while, Similac also has a liquid that worked GREAT for about 2 weeks. Hope this Helps!
    ClairesMommy209

Answer by ClairesMommy209 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• well reflux has to do with the esophageal sphinter being "immature". Switching formula's will not make a difference if your son has reflux, which it sounds like he does. Certainly bring it up to your ped, there are meds they can take that will help. My daughter was on them, was wonderful. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Zaks mommy is right. My daughter had GERD and her's was from an immature esophegeal sphinter. So new formulas won't help. Try keeping your baby upright for at least a half hour after feeding. Do not let the baby cry and fill up their stomach with air before feeding. Make more frequent but smaller feedings. I know my baby couldn't even do tummy time until she was 7 months old and it stil hurt her. Burp more ofter. A good sign to watch for is turning the head and arching the back during feedings cause stomach acid will back up and start erroding the esopagus. My daughter was on adult strength Preavid and something else for close to a year.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thanks ! We do feed him sitting up, burp him frequently and don't lay him down for awhile but nothing is working. He was born a little over 3 weeks early so I don't know if that also has something to do with it. He even throws up when he's sitting upright. Makes for long nights and lots of laundry LOL! Oh and we have also tried mylicon and gripe water but he just throws that up too.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2009