Answering a 6 year old's "babies" question.

My 6 year old daughter asked me this morning how babies (specifically her when she was a baby) get inside their mommy's tummies.

I told her it was a bit hard to explain so while she was at school today I was going to think about it and come up with an easy way to explain it to her and I promised I would answer her after school. She was satisfied with that response, but I KNOW she's going to come back and ask me after school.

How have other people approached this commonly asked children's question? How appropriate or inappropriate is it to mention sex, etc.? I'm sure she just wants a 1 or 2 sentence explanation and if I can figure out how to put it into a short and sweet, yet TRUTHFUL way, I want to give her what she wants.

Please help. Thanks in advance!

OrganicMermaid

Asked by OrganicMermaid at 10:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My husband and I don't believe in dumbing things down for our boys. So when our 5 year old son asked my husband how babies are made, my husband responded that a man puts a sperm inside a woman, where it meets an egg, and they join together to make a baby. Of course the next question was how does the sperm get inside the woman, and my husband answered, the man puts his penis inside the woman's vagina and ejaculates the sperm into her. To which my son said "Eww that's gross" and hasn't brought it up again.

I don't want my children to ever be embarrassed to talk to me or my husband about any topic. I want them to know that when they ask a question we will answer them truthfully and fully. I am of the philosophy; if they are old enough to ask, they are old enough to hear the answer.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• IMO how you answer depends on your daughters maturity. Do you feel she is ready for you to explain sex?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I just told my 5 year old step-daughter that God put her baby brother in my belly so that he could grow and come be with her right before Halloween. She was satisfied with that answer and then asked how he was going to get out, I told her then that the docter I have been seeing is going to get him out of me. She hasn't asked about it anymore.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• How about some variation on "when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, daddy puts a sperm in mommy's belly, and it meets up with an egg in her belly, and it becomes a baby, which grows an grows until it's time to come out and be in the world?"
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think the way you are approaching the situation is great. good for you for wanting to make sure that you are not misleading your daughter nor are you providing her with information outside of her age.
    I think the answer will come to you. If you are religous you can tell her that God put her there because you and (daddy) were in love and wanted to start a family.
    At age 6, I would mention that both the Daddy and the Mommy have to work together to make the baby by having sex but that the details of sex will be saved for when she is older. She will understand.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• "How about some variation on "when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, daddy puts a sperm in mommy's belly, and it meets up with an egg in her belly, and it becomes a baby, which grows an grows until it's time to come out and be in the world?""

That brings the question of how does daddy get the sperm in there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Or you could say that when man and woman love each other very much, the have such a special bond and feelings for each other that a baby starts to grow in mommies belly, the baby is a special delivery and sent to bring happiness to mommy, and daddy and for you to be his/her big sister one day!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I was pregnant with my 2nd son when my older son was 6 years old. He asked me how the baby got there, and I told him "God put it there." Eventually he came back to me and said "I know you said that God put the baby there, but how did he put the baby there?" I told him almost what SWasson said....that when mommies and daddies love each other very much, they show their love by making a baby. That the daddy fertilizes the egg in the mommy's tummy, kind of like when you fertilize a flower to make it grow, and it grows into a baby." He was pretty satisfied with that, and didn't ask me anymore until I was pregnant again 15 months after his brother was born.....he'd totally forgotten what I told him the first time!! At that age not a lot of details are necessary.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• All good advice on here from the other mommies! You will know what feels right for you to say and I just wanted to add that I always started really basic and then let them lead the conversation with their questions. They only ask what they are ready to hear. The most important thing is to make sure she understands that she can talk to you about this and everything else. If you are open and honest with her she will ask more when she is ready and it will all come to her over time. At least thats how I handled it w/mine. They'd ask a few questions, be satisfied for a while then eventually come back for more info... it was a process at different ages I guess I am saying.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• When my dd was 4 she asked about this. I told her that when you become a grownup and want to make a baby, then Mommy's and Daddy's have special stuff that they put together and it's inside the Mommy and God then helps them make a baby. When she asked what stuff, I told her DNA and Chromosomes. (which is technically true) She wanted to know how the baby got out. I told her there was a special place in a Mommy's privates that babies came out of.

When she was about 7, she found some tampons and asked me about them. I told her that they were for grownup ladies to use. But, because I knew that she had some friends that were a couple of yrs older than her, I didn't know what they might have been saying, so I asked her if this was something that she had heard anybody talking about (not in a freaking out way, btw). She said no. I told her, ok. Well, if you ever have any questions, you can ask me.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2009