who had a natural birth? how painful was it? would you do it again?

well i feel i can deal with pain... but i never been in such pain before. can you describe how giving birth feels? and if you decide to go natural can you change your mind?

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 10:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had 3.

ok I had an epidural.

I too have a strong pain threshold and held on until I couldn't any more. it was after my water was broken that it really started hurting, up til then it was uncomfortable. but I have a 'thing' about throwing up and I felt like throwing up. so had the epidural and was more comfortable ( I could FEEL everything but not the pain - and I was in control of the medication not the nurse)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I tried but I didn't make it all the way through I was screaming for an epidural!
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Having my first one (he is now 3) without pain meds was an accident.  I waited to long to go to the hospital.  Find out what your hospitals policies are on when they won't give you pain meds.  After the 1st one, I decided that I wasn't going to use pain meds with my 2nd.  I had her (now 2) at a birthing center with a Midwife.  Best choice for me.  I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and last child and I will be doing the same thing, birth center, Midwife.  Your mind is your worst enemy.  Don't be afraid, this is what your body is made to do.  The pain, well, yes it's bad, for me it was at least.  But it's pain with a purpose.  I suggest maybe joining a group like the one I found, about natural births and breastfeeding.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i was natural with my first but not by choice (well not natural really, i had some drugs but it wasnt an epideral and didnt make it to delivery) and it was the most painful thing ive ever exsperienced. my little girl tore me inside and out leading to me getting stiched up afterwards..stil got the scar on the outside.cant really see the inside.took me 3 hrs to push he out too.and she still got vaccum'd. 2nd baby got an epideral. labored for a few hrs pushed for one and he came flying out. now i dont know if there other factors here. like 2nd babys are easier or whatever.or my age. but having the epideral helped me out a lot. for my next baby i plan to get one. and yes if you wait too long you may not be able to recieve any drugs b/c it take a minute for them to kick in. but if you want to try natural and change you mind just let you dr know so as to be able to have enough time for them to work. good luck.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I've had two. I had an epidural w/my first but no meds w/my 2nd. You can definitely ask for meds if you change your mind but there does come a point where they tell you it's too late. So you would want to talk to your dr about that before as well as the nurses once you check in. So to answer your question I would say that it is different with each woman and or baby and I woud definitely do it again!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well I almost had a natural birth with my daughter, and damn I would have been PISSED if I had to lol. Luckily I got my epidural and had an amazing birth with her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Noone can tell you what YOUR pain will be.  Every woman is different and every pain is different.  Do some research and talk to other moms who have not had pain meds and see if thats what you want to do.  You are off to a good start already, believing that you can probaly handle the pain.  Change it to "I can do this".  Put some "uummphh" into it when you think it.  Say it out loud.  Sounds crazy but that works for me, hopefully it will work for you. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My SIL had my neice naturally but not by choice, she was practically crowning when she went into the hospital. She didn't have much pain but then again her daughter was 5 lbs. I had my first vaginally and though I had an epidural it wore off by the time she was ready to be pushed, all I can describe it as was intense burning as her head went thru my pelvis and tons of pressure. I'd say that burning feeling was the worse part of it all, and it's over and forgotten before you know it :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I've had 3 natural births and preparing for my 4th. It's not that bad really. The pain isn't constant. In fact, my contractions hurt more than the actual delivery. Frankly, I've had more painful bowel movements during the early stages of pregnancy and constipation.

Mind over matter. I told myself it wouldn't hurt. I kept telling myself it didn't hurt. And really, it didn't. Frankly, I got an ear infection a week after my 3rd child was born and THAT was more painful than giving birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I had three births without epi (the first I did have a demerol shot in mid-labour.) The next two were unmedicated. For me the hardest part was during transition... where there is not much of a break between contractions. However, transition is also pretty short comparatively speaking. I actually don't remember the actual birth being that painful. I found pushing to be a relief after transition because pushing made it hurt less. With my son by the time he was born I had pushed for an hour and was feeling pretty numb, with my next two kids I remember thinking "This feels gross!" while they were actually being born but it wasn't as much painful as just strange.
    My biggest recommendation if you want a natural birth- take a class that specializes in natural birth! It helped a LOT and gave me coping strategies I woulnd't have known otherwise (like hot water, moaning with contractions, and more.) HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009