Did your LO go through a stage where it seemed as if they put food in their mouths for the sole intent and purpose of taking it right back out?

Seriously, how in the heck did you keep the child fed? LOL! It seems like for the past few days my one year old DS spits everything out that I try to feed him, even his favorites.

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 10:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 1:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yup, that's when I picked the food up and put it away. You can't force feed a child, but you can make sure they know that when there is food infront of them it's for eating, NOT playing
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in tis century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 1:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Are you a nutritionist/dietician rkoloms?

As a new mom it is so scary. My child is in the 25% on his weight and I'm already catching enough flack for that. We theorize that he is "skinny" because he takes his babywork very seriously and plays hard all day long, lol, he is only still to eat and sleep. The family constantly has me worried that he's underfed although they can clearly see that I offer him food. He eats when he wants to eat and the only beverages he likes are water and breastmilk. I can't sneak in any healthy calories in his drinks, so sometimes I'm left scratching my head. Thankfully one of his favorites is yogurt. I will definitely give the hummus and tofu a try. Avocado was his first food so I will revisit that. Do you know of a good yogurt dip to try? Or what about some lowfat sourcream? At one, is he old enough to eat raw vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2009