2 month old, congested nose. Please help

I have a 2 month old son and last night we noticed his nose is very stuffy. I can tell its making it harder for him to breath/ I tried using the bulb but it doesn't seem to be helping. I know babies only breath out of their noses so this is scaring me. Does anyone know what else I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Run a cool mist vaporizer constantly, and most especially in the room with him during night time and naps. In about two days it should clear up. Other than that saline drops and the horrible bulb syringe. I'd put him in the bathroom with you every time you showered and like Jade said, for whatever crazy reason, vicks on the feet covered with socks does seem to help. I would take him to the Ped just in case because at that age a runny nose can very easily cause an ear infection and a lot of babies, my son included, show no outward signs of it other than the prolonged runny nose.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Saline nose spray will help...also a cool mist vaporizer or steamy bathroom and baby vicks rubbed on the feet.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Oh, and babies can breathe out of their mouths too. the problem comes with eating, they have to be able to breathe through their noses to nurse, take a bottle, etc. I would do the saline drops before meals, but as stuffy as my DS's nose got, he never had a problem nursing, I would just hear this rattle in his nose as he breathed in and out.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yeah i agree with the ear infection risk. i have an 11 week old who just went thru the stuffy nose/ with a slight cough. It moved to his ears and he will need antibiotics for if it is in his ears. As far as the stuffy nose, The bulb and Saine helped a little but for us, but our ped recommended Vicks Baby rub and Johnsons Baby Vapor Bath. It worked wonders! Good luck.
    aoaks2009

Answer by aoaks2009 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2009