Is $5.00 too much for an 8 year old boy? (Spelling Tests) 3rd grader

Ok my son has been making 100's on his spelling tests I told him for each 100 we will give him $5.00 dollars every week. So far so good he's made (5) 100's I really didn't think he would do it bc of last year he did so so.

Now on his other subject he is barely getting there....after all they just got off of summer vacation...what other incentive should I start with there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How about instead of giving him money for every one, which could get expensive lol, you could try something like "every time you get ___ (whether it's a 100 on a test, or an A, or whatever), then you'll get a sticker on your chart. When you get __ stickers (however many you decide), then you'll get ___. It could be a toy he wanted, or going to dinner at his favorite restaurant, or getting to stay up an hour past bedtime on a non-school night, he gets to pick a movie or a game on family night, or something.

Or, if he's really struggling in a certain subject, you could say ___ grade in that specific subject, then he gets the reward.

You could also let him "save up" his stickers and get something really big... So, instead of cashing in, say, 5 stickers for en extra hour at bedtime, he could save up 15 stickers and get a new video game...

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Way too much! You're bribing him! He should be pulling 100's...or doing the best he can...because it's expected of him, not because he gets paid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• cont

BUT - I would be careful about falling too far into paying him to get good grades (however you do it, with money or stickers or whatever). Because the older they get, the harder that gets to keep up, and you want him to also learn that he should also be doing this because it's the right thing to do, and that it will benefit him in life.

gl :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I know what you ladies are saying and I appreciate that but we have the money that is no problem.

But I like both you ladies thoughts something to think about

I thank you so much for your opinions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We do $1 per 100 or perfectly scored PACE and we add it all up over the 6 wk period. So at the end of this week (today) he will be getting $14 (4 perfectly scored PACE's and 10 100's), not too bad out of 15 tests.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 1:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OMG why is everyone so cheap? $ 5 is NOT a lot....I think it IS appropriate....A candy bar cost a dollar these days ..My dd is almost 5 she is in kindergarten (so no spelling test) but before kinder started I told her if she memorized all her ABC's she would get to go to San Diego Zoo and we did. Then if she memorized all her numbers to 20 I would buy her this pink kitchen she wanted from Pottery Barn. It was not cheap but it was worth it. It's not bribery it's rewards, and incentive. When your an adult you work for $$$ and you work harder if you KNOW you will get more money. So kids are the same. I think if he is having trouble in other subjects offer him a trip to the zoo, aquarium, or where ever your 8 year old wants to go if he does better in those subjects....I know that will help because he gets 100's every week so you know he is capable. Good luck. lol $5 too much. No way. It's perfect.
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 1:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm not saying it's too much. The op asked what OTHER incentives she could try, so I gave some ALTERNATE ideas.

I didn't say don't reward him for good grades. I said don't make it ALL about rewards. Sometimes, you do something because it's the right thing to do, or because the benefits that you get are something OTHER than monetary.

But nowhere in there did I say that $5 was too much. Just that, over time, as they get older, they aren't going to be happy with $5. I have teens - believe me, if we had started at $5, and ONLY made it about financial rewards, then they would be expecting a lot more than $5 now - after all, they're older and the work is harder, and, as you said, you work harder if you know you're getting more money, right? They have many more subjects, and many more papers and things, that get turned in. So what, do you (anon - NOT the op) want your kid to be a teen who only does their school work for $
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• In short, it's not just about the money - it's about balancing rewards with life lessons of some things you should just do because it's the right thing and it's expected of you.

Which is why, when the op asked for ALTERNATIVE rewards, I suggested things that would be memory building as well as financially rewarding, mixed with just simply expecting them to do it because they should.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Having the money to do it or not, I would prefer my kids grow up striving to always do their best for their own self-esteem and pride, not raising them by throwing money or things at them! I agree that those sort of things are "bribes".

I don't see them as being proud of themselves for their wonderful accomplishments...I see them as being greedy.

A trip and a kitchen just for memorizing letters and numbers? THAT is definitely excessive in my mind! Maybe for being able to recognize them both...either one or the other...but just for memorizing? I guess I'm old-fashioned.
    Anonymous

• CEOs work HARDER to get more money?? Hardly the case.

A whole kitchen set for learning just for learning numbers she should be learning anyway?
    Good luck with dealing with that child in a few years!

$5 is WAY too much for spelling tests, which are probably weekly. Maybe $5 - $10 at the end of the quarter for each A or whatever on a report card. This will keep him doing well in all subjects throughout the year and not rewarding him excessively.
    Anonymous