Is there such a thing as too many bananas? If so, what is the limit?

Ok, very little has helped me with nausea. I'm celiac so most crackers are out and the gluten-free crackers just aren't helping me. Dry cereal doesn't help. I started eating a banana in the morning and that works like a charm. Thing is that I'm eating bananas in oatmeal and smoothies. So I'm eating 2-4 bananas. Is that too much?

Glutenfreebaby

Asked by Glutenfreebaby at 11:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You might get very constipated. Bananas make me feel like I just ate a whole loaf of bread.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

My gluten free foods blog. This is what I'm eating. I'm keeping it down, so far.

Aloe vera juice, chamomile tea, ginger ale and ginger tea, papaya juice -- those are helping my tummy.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Actually, one banana can kill you.

...Provided someone has peeled it, frozen it solid, then used portions of the peel to make a discarding sabot, then loaded it into an 87-caliber air rifle and fired it at you from 50 or so yards off...

But, As for how much constitutes an overdose, an average banana will give you about 350 mg of potassium, and your RDA is around 4000-4500 mg, you get roughly 8% of your RDA of potassium from one banana. An overdose of potassium can cause arrythmias (heart not beating properly)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• 2 bananas per day should probably be the limit. 3 if they are small.

Too many bananas mean two thing can happen physiologically: Firstly, bananas contain high quantities of potassium. Sodium and potassium are essential for the transference of fluid in/and out of cells that make up our tissues, organ and muscle. If you are doing a high output activity on a daily basis and sweating a lot your body can actually metabolize 3-4 bananas per day. However, if you're just eating them for snacks, you really shouldn't have more than 2 per day only because, the potassium forces fluids in your bowel to enter the tissues and blood stream and consequently dehydrate the bowel...consequently making you constipated.

Anonymous

• ginger tea
    peppermint tea
    chamomile tea

Answer by rkoloms at 1:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2009