I have a questions for Catholics...

How important is it to have the wedding ring on all the time without taking off. Is it like a sin if you are not wearing that. I'm 100% Catholic myself, but I just don't know if taking off the rings are a sin. And if it is a sin why is it a sin???...PLEASE NO BASHING. I WOULD LIKE SOME MATURE ANSWERS.

Thank You!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Um never heard that before,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It's not a sin to take off a wedding ring. The wedding ring is just a symbol of the marriage - you don't even need to have a ring to receive the sacrament of marriage. You're still married whether or not you have or wear a ring.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• thanks erin ... just my parents always said it is a sin to take it off. So it got me kinda confused.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Its not a sin. You're married in the eyes of God, your family and the law (assuming you got a marriage license) with or without a ring. A ring is just to symbolize the marriage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Talk to the father at your church... I have never heard of this.... and this religion is the oldest. I think the father of your church can explain this better.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have not worn my wedding ring in years. I was never told it was a sin. I know I am married, my husband knows we are married and it really upsets a couple of the older Catholic ladies in church when I walk in with half a dozen kids and no ring on my finger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My mom is Catholic and my dad doesn't even HAVE a wedding ring! It's a symbol of marriage, not a marriage in and of itself, kwim?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think it's silly that people place so much importance on a ring (not saying that you are OP). I know I'm married and God knows about our marriage so that's all that matters to me. As others have stated it is not a sin. Some people may believe that for whatever reasons, but that's just their own personal belief. I haven't worn my ring in at least 10 years. The diamond used to get caught on things or scratch the kids accidentally so I just stopped wearing it. My dh doesn't wear his either... he's gained a lot of weight since our wedding and has been too lazy to get it re-sized (plus he thinks he's gonna lose that weight one day ^.^)

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• This is the kind of thing you should be asking a priest. But I don't see how it could be a sin. There are people who can't or shouldn't wear a ring. People who work in heavy machinery for example, also in the nursing field it isn't recommended because rings can harbor bacteria, and if you work with the elderly you can tear their tender skin if you are moving them or doing any of the care needs that a cna would do.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009