What do you say when an interviewer asks why should we hire you?

I have an interview at 1 and I hate this question! It's for a cell phone store. I am surprised I even got called but now I am stressing! I need this job to support my little boy! Any other advice?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 11:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Say, I believe that I can be an asset to the company by bringing in happy customers and doing my best to increase my understanding of the products so that I may give the best service possible.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It's a chance to showcase skills and qualities that you possess that might not otherwise come up in the course of an interview. Talk about the things that you could bring to this job!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I agree with both the pp's. You could say that you really enjoy people, and you have done a lot of research about their company and it's products (only say that if you have though - and I would try to look them up and look up their products before the interview), and you think your people skills, coupled with their superior products, would make a good comb for boosting their sales.

You can also try adding that getting this job is very important to you, that you're willing to go that extra mile to do what the job requires, because you don't just want this job, you need this job. Because you need it, you're going to do what it takes to be the best at it so you can keep it.

But, whatever you decide to say, good luck, and I hope you get the job :-)

PS - look at monsterjobs or whatever it's called, they usually have really good tips for this sort of stuff :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am the best person for this job. I do realize that there are other likely candidates that can perform this job, yet I bring in an additional quality that makes myself the best person, and that is my passion for excellence. I am committed to producing world-class results which should improve or maintain your client rentention rate.

(I say 'should' because of the current market conditions, and you don't end up biting your tongue over it later).

BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have never been asked that! EVER! So, I guess I'm no help.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• That question usually comes up in an interview in some form. It might not be asked directly, but they will want to know. It's always difficult to figure out what to say, but I like the advice the above people have given you. You have to figure out what your assets are concerning this particular job. Never say you need it because you need to make more money. They are looking for your strengths and why it would benefit them to hire you instead of somebody else.

By this time you have already had your interview. How did it go?
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think it went pretty good. Today was just with the store manager. I have to wait and see if I am called back to interview with the store owner.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You look them in the eye and say, "Because I am the best person that you are ever going to meet. I work my butt off, have excellent customer service skill and go out of my way to see that my goals are met."
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• That you're going to help them to make ( save) money and here's how.

I am an employer.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I have told the interviewer that I am a reliable hardworking person and can learn quick.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 6:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2009