My SIL is my age, is yours?

My son in law is my age! When we all get together & we talk on things. Times.. Stuff we did.. Year we graduated etc.. He gets mad!! I mean I know he liked me first. But I've ben forever married. So he married my DD. Anyway if I mention or remind him he's my (our) age he gets mad! He hates to admit it or live up to it! But its true! I won't mention it meanly. I won't! I appreciate him being a part of our family! As I adore our new step children! For they will be our only step grand children. Since he doesn't care to have children with our DD. What can I do? Do I have to not bring up he's our age? He graduated high school the year my DD was born. Any one else deal with this? How can I not make him feel uncomfortable or upset him? Yet still freely join in the conversations? We talk about old tv shows, songs, commercials, trivia & get into the good ol' days you know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• eww
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Sounds like an odd situation, he liked you first then went for your dd? crazy, but if your ok with it then I say don't worry about it, you are the age you are you should be able to speak freely, if he doesn't like it oh well, maybe just don't point out he is your age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Are you rehearsing for the Jerry Springer show????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Everyone has hot button topics you don't bring up if you want to have a relaxing visit. Talk about something besides age and the past.
    Anonymous

• I don't know why people are reacting like that. My husband is 14 years older than me, not as old as my mom but closer to her age than mine. He is by far the baby of the family so his sisters are all around my parent's age, one is older than my mom. My MIL seems more like a grandmother to me, my nieces and nephews seem more like cousins. It really makes no difference except that I find myself accidently referring to my kids cousins as their aunts and uncles, which is embarrassing. I don't know if they care when I do it, but I'm worried it would make them (or my SILs feel bad) My mom doesn't really talk to my husband about his age though. Our friends joke about it with him though.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• No. My son is 23 and his wife is 26. I don't know how I'd handle it if his wife were 42. I think that would really be gross actually. My other 3 sons are 21, 19 and 17 and their girlfriends are 18, 17 and 17. None of them woluld find dating someone old enough to be their mother attractive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• That is just weird and very Jerry Springerish!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't know why people are reacting like that.

Probably because THEY once liked each other and in her words "so he married my DD" ....there is your yuck factor for you!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yeah, I have to agree that the fact that you felt the need to explain that he liked you but couldn't have you so he went for your DD and that was one of the FIRST things you wanted us to know about him - not to mention that it's not really relevant to the actual question. It sounds like you get your kicks out of knowing that he liked you first and your poor daughter had to pick up your left overs! That's why it's icky.

To answer the question- if he's sensitive about it, then don't bring it up. It sounds like a no brainer. If you were sensitive about your weight, would you want your in laws bringing it up at every family function? You're going to have to get over the age difference and respect your daughters husband enough to drop it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I would quit bringing up he is your age. If you really want him to be comfortable quit trying to make him uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2009