Is $200,000 a year enough to raise 4 kids?

I have 3 kids already, my boyfriend wants one of his own but thinks that we can't afford a 4th kid. We pay about $1300 a month for housing and then have only one car payment. Between the two of us we make $200000 a year/ He wants the best for the kids and doesn't want to be "house broke". I'm not in any debt. I'm not entirely sure how much he has on his credit cards...but I'm curious if you agree with him and why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it depends on where you live. How stable your jobs are down the line (do you have a highly marketable skill, that would allow you to get a similar job quickly if you were to lose your current 1).

What do you want your children to have in the future? Collegex4 would be quite expensive, if you're planning on funding it.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You can raise 4 kids on 50,000-100,000 a year. Just because you can afford to buy them everything they want does not mean that you have to or even need to...It's ok if kids go without the 'everyone else has one' items...it just makes them understand that they have to work for it and not everything is given just because they want it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• omg did u seriously just ask that?/ ppl raise 4 on less then that all the time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I comfortably raise 3 on about half of that. My house if paid off so I'll not dealing with a mortgage but yeah, I think you could afford it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We're raising 3 on WAY less than that and our kids don't want for anything. We're actually planning on having another.
    Anonymous

• Wow! I have 4 & wish we had HALF that much!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It's possible. We're buying a house and raising two kids on less than $35,000.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Show off are you a adult or a child
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You all are missing the point...if I wanted to be a show off I wouldn't have posted anon. I am asking this question because I was hoping some people would have something half way intelligent to say to show my SO that it doesn't take this much to raise a child. I raised 3 children with my ex on 30000 a year for 7 years so I know it can be done. However he has never had a child and falls victim to what the general media says is a requirement for raising children.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OMG...YES! Are you kidding me? That is a ton of money!!! He just uses that excuse because he doesn't want another kid. Are you married? If not, then don't have another kid or even become financially connected. Legally,it is not a good thing to be having kids and owning a home together when not married.. ...unless you are a celebrity like Goldie Hawn ,LOL.Or Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. Actually, I don't believe in "just living together"...so, don't mind me . I am just old fashioned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 1, 2009