Ok. Honest question of curiousity about the whole bottle feeding

breast feeding debate

I am a SM without any bios so maybe I'm just stupid in regards to this debate, but seriously, what's the big deal? If she likes blue and you like red, what's the big deal if she bottle feeds and you breast feed. Each other's personal preference...who cares?
Someone please - enlighten me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well i formula fed, but i wish i could have had the strength to breastfeed for longer then i did (2 weeks). i think some moms just want to try and convince people to breastfeed, and with good reason. its much better for the baby. buts its just so friggin hard.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• There's a lot of medical evidence that breast feeding is better for the mom and the baby.

BUT - that doesn't mean that formula fed babies are these poor little deprived things, with depraved moms or anything like that.

To each their own.

btw - before anyone bashes me for my comments, let me say, I nursed both mine - I nursed my ds until he was a toddler (and for almost all of my pg with my dd). I was willing to tandem nurse, but he weaned himself when my colostrum came in. I also did extended nursing with my dd. My sister didn't nurse either of her kids a day of her life. She did bottles all the way with them. Both of us are good moms, with normal, healthy teens.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The big deal is because breastmilk has been proven to be healthier for baby all around. (It's a fact and not really debatable) Some moms view another mom who doesn't try to breastfeed as not doing what is in her baby's best interests. This is upsetting to some people. Of course it is a personal decision, but when you know for sure that something is better for your kid, why wouldn't you do it? That is the root of the argument.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I formula fed... I didn't want to breastfeed for my own reasons. I myself don't care whether you bottle or breast, just feed the kid!!! I can't figure out this debate and why a mom just can't accept another moms decision... it seems to me like the gossip thing. I've had two ladies look down on me for formula feeding and they (best friends) tried to get DH and I divorced so in my personal opinion bfing nazis have to pick on someone to solve their insecurities and make themselves feel better. First place they go is somewhere people can't change!!
    Anonymous

• i ff my first and now am bf my second (well i pump) so i use a bottle with mys eocnd also but is breastmilk. i have no clue what the whole debateis about. i could care less if soemone is bf or ff as long as tehy are feeding their baby!! how a mom chooses to feed her child is her problem and noone should tell her she is wrong!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I pumped when my son was in the NICU but when he came home he wouldnt latch on and i couldnt pump and feed him every 3 hours so i used the bottle. And it frekin hurt like hell. But i dont care what someone does. My mom only used formula with me and my sister and we are both just fine. And saying that it is better to breast rather then formula feed is a load of crap. I have done alot of research on it and i have found out that the only difference is that your baby can start to taste the foods that you eat so they might eat different foods as they get older and that it can result in a closer bond with your child nutrition wise it is the same! I dont care how people feed their kids as long as they do. And i dont care what people say about how i feed my child. He is healthy and his doctor tells me that every time i take him in for his check up. I dont understand the debate and why people are so rude about it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yes breast is best but as long as your child is healthy who cares......i dont have a problem with either...i breast fed my first for 6 months and i am bottle feding my 6 week old....who cares...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I do think that breastfeeding is the best, but so long as your baby is happy and healthy, it doesn't matter. Everyone likes different things. I breastfed for 3 months, but I lost my milk (spent like $300 trying to get it back over the following 2 or 3 months) AND my baby was lactose intolerant, which we didn't find out until after we had switched to formula. We tried all the milk based kinds, then the lactose free. It was the only one that didn't upset her tummy. When I had to sign up for WIC, she could only get soy or regular, so she had to get soy. Didn't have a single problem after that. It kills me when women bash moms for FF when they don't know the whole story. Some women just aren't comfortable with it. To each their own, it's no one else's business, IMO.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Being a good mom goes WAY beyond the choice to breastfeed or bottlefeed. Women who put breastfeeding on such a high pedestal that they begin to look down on everyone who chooses not to have serious problems with their self esteem. Breastmilk is the best for the child (nutritionally), but if a woman chooses not to use it, there are plenty of other ways she can provide a good life for her child.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Bravo Fallaya. :) Well said.

It's not just BF vs FF. There are people who need to validate their own choices by pointing out why everyone else no in line behind them are wrong. It pops up in the work vs stay home debates. The discipline debates. Crying it out vs Co-sleeping. The list is endless and of course not just limited to parenting.

Personally, I don't care what you do as long as you back off and let raise my kids my way while doing it. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2009