When can I give my son a blanket?

The weather here is starting to get colder, and my son's room always gets a little chilly in the winter, even though the heater is on. Last winter he was a newborn and we dressed him in footed sleepers, sleep sacks and swaddle-me blankets over sleepers. We have not given him any blankets in his crib because we heard that any loose bedding in the crib can increase the risk of SIDS. We also heard that overheating is associated with SIDS, and he is our first child, so it is a little unnerving. Well, now my son is 10 months old and we are not as concerned anymore, but just not sure about putting a blanket in his crib. What do you ladies think? Should I wait til his first birthday in Nov to do that, or should I go ahead and start now? What did you do with your kids? Also, how long were your kids in cribs before they started using a toddler bed/daybed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 4 months old and ive been giving him a blanket in his crib for months now .. but its a quilt. like, its got the holes in it. so i figure if it does happen to get pulled over his face, he will still get air with the holes. but its never been pulled over his face, i dont put it over his arms, and i try and tuck it under him a little so it stays where i put it, even though it never does, but usually he ends up kicking it off him downwards so ...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I brought my sons home from the hospital and put a blanket on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My son is 4 months and i have always had a blanket in with him. i tuck it in under his arms and by the time i get him out of bed in the morning he has kicked it off and its down by his feet. But he needs a blanket because my sons room gets the coldest in the whole house.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my son is six weeks and has always had a balnket......but thats me
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• anon, that is not what a meant, but sarcasm is such a good answer for somebody who needs help with something! way to be supportive moron.
    Anonymous

• My kids had blankets from day 1.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yea i have to agree with purpleducky my baby girl had a blanket from day one. I didn't leave loose blankets in her bassinet but she came home from the hospital wrapped in the one her nurse put her in and that's how she sleeps to this day and she's 5 weeks and we have no plans of changing.
    kat324

Answer by kat324 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• maybe I should rephrase my question since everybody seems to be misunderstanding it: I am not talking about receiving blankets or blankets to simply keep a newborn warm. been there, done that. I am actually referring to bedding to put over the baby.
    Anonymous

• My answer is still the same. My sons slept with me and my husband at first and we had 1-2 comforters and 3 pillows on the bed. Then when they went to their own beds they got their own little blankets and stuffed animals.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009