Am I a bad mom?

My kids have soccer practice tonight and I really don't want to go. My husband has a work meeting and can't help juggle practices on 2 different fields and a busy toddler. I'm hoping/praying for rain so I have a valid excuse for skipping it. I'm even contemplating doing a rain dance. Am I a bad mom?

RoostersMom4

Asked by RoostersMom4 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Fingers crossed for rain for you mama! We've all been there. Just a note, I always felt like I had to take my butt out there and watch which looking back I probably didn't but especially if you have a little one maybe you could bring something he could do in the car and just sit there and wait. If he will do that, it would give you a break from chasing him atleast! Get yourself a nice Starbucks to take with you at the very least! You deserve it!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• thats dumb let ur kids go play..u being lazy is not a valid excuse
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• lolol no not at all IMO. them missing, or you missing one soccer practice in their lives is no big deal.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• No. You're human.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• join the club. my son has a football game, it will be late,dark and very cold. high winds in the 35-40 mph says the weather, possibility for rain. I have a horrible head cold, sore throat, migraine. I'm hoping for a rainout and we can make up the game. Otherwise, i'll be sitting out there with a blanket, feeling like crap, with a smile on my face, cheering on the boys.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• 'thats dumb let ur kids go play..u being lazy is not a valid excuse"anon11:57.

SCREW YOU ANON. She said she was hoping for rain, she didn't say she would just not go. Juggling two kids pactices and a toddler is not always easy-peasy!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Don't ask that question here that way! Someone is going to say you are a bad mom and then you are going to feel hurt or get mad at everyone else.

A better question would be - "Don't you get tired of taking kids to soccer practice? I'm hoping for rain." I think most moms have felt that way on more than once.

I have 3 boys with a 3 year and then 5 year age gap. When they played baseball it was enough of a gap they played in different leagues. I was a single mom. Usually they played on diamonds next to each other and I could go back and forth.

One day they all had games. They were at 3 different schools/parks. A sudden very bad storm came and I had to rush to get them. The storm was the worst at my little guy's game. There was only one road to get there. There was a giant coal pile next to the road and the wind was blowing so hard coal was blowing across the street and cars wouldn't go through it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Cont.

When I can finally get to the school there is no one there. I go home and there is no electricity and no phone, no idea when the phone is going to start to work, and it's still storming.

My little guy was terrified. He did't know his phone number or address (his IQ is low). Someone took him home with them and it took hours for us to be reunited. It's one of his worst memories from childhood.

I hated it when I had to be in 3 places at once!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I've felt that way before. We've skipped a practice or dance class here and there because of similar reasons. But my dh is never home. He's self employed and works 10 hr days (more during tax season). I don't see him 'til after bedtime. So I've had to learn to suck it up and just deal with it. But I think the way you're feeling is natural. It's easy to get overwhelmed, especially when you still have a toddler. Sometimes it gets to be just too much.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• No, I've felt that way more than once myself! With three kids I feel like I am always taking someone to some sort of practice. The one I dread most is swim class with my youngest because I have to get in the pool with her- believe me, in the winter when it is ten below freezing I am always kicking myself for having signed her up for the winter session!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2009