Wondering if my daughter is doing alright for her age.

She will be 2 on december 4th. She can walk, run, jump (both feet off the ground), gallop, and stand on one foot.

She says about 100 words. And about 40 small sentences (2-4 words)

She can point to shapes and colors when asked.

She can count to 3. Like she will get 3 crayons and count them as she puts the down.

She can kick a ball. And throw over and under handed.

She can identify pictures in books. For example if she sees a cat she will say "Cat, meow meow."

She takes care of her baby dolls.

She eats by herself with a fork and spoon.

Thats all I can think of for now. But my reason for wondering is that 1)My friends tell me I am lying, that their kids who are her age or slightly older cant do any of this. 2)My cousin for some reason thinks that she is a little behind. and 3)Her docttor is concerned with her speach because he has never heard her say more than "Mommy", but she wont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is a wide range of normal for development. Your little girl sounds delightful!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well if all of this is true then she is doing just fine. Kids learn things at different times. My cousin didnt talk at all not even mommy till he was 4 because he would only have to pint to things and then someone would give it to him. But if the doctor is concerned then get her to talk more at her apointment ask her questions and have her talk to you. Doing all of that at 2 is good not behind because my friends son is older and he dosnt do all of that.
    Anonymous

• SHE SOUNDS PERFECT!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Sounds just like my 22 mo old!!! She'll be 2 Nov 8. EXACTLY!! She just learned how to gallop and skip last week actually! I'm so proud! :) My dd can't throw a ball over and underhand, just tosses it up! We're working on catch.... DD counts to 2 by herself, but knows her numbers up to 9 by recognition. Sparatic letters in the alphabet... shapes and colors too. I heard and read they don't need to know how to jump until the age of 3... something about how their bodies aren't ready or whatever... but idk! it doesn't seem to be true because my dd was breech with dislocating hips! My dd never said a word around her drs and they were never concerned (prob a military thing!). You're child sounds right on target if not ahead!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• your firend is jelous. my dd was doing all thatand more by the time she was 2. she is now31 mts. knows her abc,shapes,and coloros, she speaks as well as a 4 y old. she is fully potty tarin and is very smart. i say she is just jelous you have such a smart lil girl
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am impressed. my son, who has speech delay and all the associated issues with it, cannot do as much at 3.5 at least of the speaking, counting ect. I do know he was in similar situation physically and they were very impressed because he was actually at about a 5 year old level with physical activitys. Sounds like your daughter is going to give you a rough ride because she is AHEAD and will be bored in school. GL :)
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• All children develop at different rates. www.touchpoints.org has great information on child development

Answer by rkoloms at 1:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• She's behind MY kids, but sound like she's right on track based on what I've been told during my kids' evaluations.
    Anonymous