sore after ultrasound, awake all night.... (not the internal ultrasound kind) the belly kind.

I had an ultrasound yesterday. 12wks. And the nurse said the Dr wasn't in bc he had an Emergency at the hosp. She went on for 5 min about how she doesn't know how to do ulrasounds, and how shes not trained for that, and doesn't know the machine.

All of my ultrasounds (every 2wks) so far have been the internal kind with the dr. (not on top of the belly yet.) Never any pain after, and that seems more invasive. Well, she was using the dopplar to find the heartbeat - which she never found. The she used the belly kind of ultraound machine. She was pushing it down all over my lower belly area. and found the baby - which was great. but then she was like well now we know exactly were the baby is so lets try the heartbeat thing again.... and she said if she pushed all over my belly hard, it would make the baby go to the front of my uterus. nothing hurt at the time, but i was up all night . (never did hear the beat) when i lean or

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• (me)
    or roll over i feel a sharp pain. i still feel that way today. should i be worried? or is this normal? was what SHE WAS DOING NORMAL??
    Anonymous

• frist of all if she told you she didn't know how to do it and she never trained for it why would you even let her go ahead and do it ! oyou could have been like no its okay i'll come back when the doctors back
    Anonymous

• (me)
    i let her do it bc it was "on" my belly and not the internal kind. I didn't think anything could happen by just rubbing a stick on my belly with goop. i trusted her bc she's been my nurse there for about 8 years. thats a long time, i know her realllly well. she's been with the med group for years and years....
    I don't want to get bashed by the way, just want to know if anyone else experienced pains after...?
    thanks :)
    Anonymous

• i would complain. someone who doesn't know what they are doing shouldn't be operating that. sorry idk the answer to your question but i would call the office and ask to talk to my OB
    Anonymous

• i don't blame you for trusting her. i probably would have too. but actually ultrasounds have not even been proven to be safe anyway and some women refuse them for this reason. they are sending waves into your body. i would definitely want to call my doctor to ask about why i might be sore. (i did get an ultrasound btw, but i have read in books that there is not evidence showing its safety. also not evidence showing it not safe but still...)
    Anonymous

• Why are you having so many ultrasounds? What problem are they watching you for? Not that it matters because we can't diagnoses anything anyway. But it isn't normal to have so many ultrasounds. 1 maybe 2 per pregnancy is normal. Most women seem to be having them at 18-20 weeks unless there is something suspicious going on. So what is up that you have had several at only 12 weeks? And sorry I can't help you with your pain question, but I would call and ask the doctor.

Anonymous

• dont let these other people worry you about how many u/s you have gotten done...i am 12w 5 days and i have had 3 or 4 already..complainers are just jealous..lol anyway i had my first pelvic u/s last week and i was very sore afterward..and the doctor did mine by the way so im guessing its normal? I dunno if you are really worried about if just call ur doc and ask...mine was gone after the 2nd day! Congrats on your baby and good luck!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• wow dot worry i did this with my last baby..i would get really really sore and hurt like hell for a few days sometimes after an u/s esp if they did have to push a little hard to find him. hope u have a great rest of ur pregnancy and a very healthy little one mama.
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• oh and i got u/s about every other week for a good part of the pregnancy for many reasons..
    eSnA2008

• Jealous of being unnecessarily poked and prodded?  Do you think we don't already have kids, can't get pregnant or something.  Why would ANYBODY be jeaolous of somebody who is either high risk and needs all these ultrasounds or is low risk and going to a doctor who is a quack.  Make no sense to me!

Anonymous