Pennsylvania Vaccination Exemption Laws...

I do not vaccinate. After much tons of research and a supportive doctor I do not believe that they are the best option for my children. This post is NOT for vaccination debate!

PA laws do not allow for personal or medical exemption for unvaccinated children. They do however allow for religious ones. The actual law reads as follows: "Children need not be immunized if the parent, guardian or emancipated child objects in writing to the immunization on religious grounds or on the basis of a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief."

While I understand this doesn NOT require me to belong to a religion that objects to vaccinations, it simply means I need to have an ethical conviction SIMILAR to a religious belief. Which I do!

But I'm wondering are there any religions that do object to vaccinations? What religions would fall in to this exemption?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• hmm this is interesting.....i am curious to see what other religions would say no.

Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Scientology is the only one I know of off the top of my head. My understanding is they believe god will heal you if he so wills it and therefor you should never use a doctor. Some schools here are starting to require you explain your beliefs if that is why you did not vaccinate, but the law is written a bit differently here and you HAVE to claim religious reasons or vaccinate if you want to go to public schools. (or provide proof that your child had the disease)
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I know Christian Scientists object to vaccination.
    Amish don't get vaccinated so I assume it's a religious thing.
    I've read that Muslim's in India object, I don't know if that's the case for all Muslim's.
    Some (but not all) Jevohah's Witnesses don't vax. (it's up to the individual)
    Anonymous

• my religion doesnt say anything about vac's...(satanism)
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• There was recently an outbreak of rubella in a Mennonite community in my province... apparently many Mennonites don't vaccinate for religious reasons. I also know that dh's cousins who are JWs refuse some vaccinations that may contain plasma or other human blood componants due to the prohibition about blood transfusion. Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Just a note to anon- Jehovah's Witnesses as a religion have NOTHING against vaccines. If a Jehovah's Witness doesn't vaccinate it's for non-religious reasons. I was raised Jehovah's Witness and was almost killed by vaccinations and have a vaccine related health condition... Unfortunately they do vaccinate as a whole.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thanks Sabrina! I defer to your experience because my only example is through dh's cousins and not through any real knowledge on my part. Thanks for speaking up!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The only thing I can think of is that some vaccines have been prepared using cell lines from fetuses aborted 30 or 40 years ago and some may see that by using these vaccines they are cooperating with -or approving of- the original abortion.

This explains in greater detail: http://www.ncbcenter.org/FrTad_MSOOB_2.asp
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 3:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have never heard this. Thank you for posting it cause I am curious now as well.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You can use almost any religion out there.
    Wiccan (harm ye none) and Catholic are the ones that i hear the most.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009