Do Homeless shelters stock up on needs for the people?

I wanted to know if they stock up on all the items brought in, so when a person comes in, and needs something they will be able to get some items? But not all of them? Is that how it works? :)

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 12:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Call a homeless shelter and ask. I worked at a young youth homeless shelter when I was a teenager, and most or all of the items were donated from big companies.

BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I know at our local shelter they collect donations year round for things like toiletries, socks, long johns, coats, gloves, etc. They try to keep a supply on hand for those that are in need.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• They do when they can. Our local women's shelter is always out of or low on something. They have huge drives around Back to School, Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the rest of the year they depend on people spontaneously donating on their own or monthly corporate donations.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Wow okay all of you are a huge help, I have a big heart and have just recently started donating what I can, I don't have much myself but I would love to donate and help out them as well. It always feels so nice to do so. But what is the main thing they need? Would it be all kinds and types of clothing and pillows, blankets, hats, that type of thing? I am pretty sure they get food! I know that with companies they do donate. But how about diapers, wipes, and baby food for the little ones?
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 5:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• In our area there are women-Moms,housewives- who collect bags of everything possible to donate in their neighborhood and I participated last year. We collect food, canned goods and cereals,pastas,etc. that don't have to be refrigerated. Household items such as laundry soap,dish soap.paper towels,toilet paper,shampoo, soap, light bulbs,etc. We donated toiletrries, baby supplies, gift cards for Target,etc. so that they can get specific needs that we don't cover. Every couple of weeks neighbors put bags of donations by theor front door and they are snt to a county donation center. Then they are distributed to shelters and to people in temporary homes or motels who are really needy.
    Anonymous

• They don't stock up, the donations they get usually go quickly, especially when the weather gets cold and nasty. A lot of times, the shelters run out of items and having nothing to give out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2009