How do I know when my nonverbal son is ready to be potty trained?! And how can I go about doing so?

My son is almost 2 and he has autism. Which for him means he's pretty much nonverbal and it's really hard to tell what he can and cannot understand. He does good with sign language though. So, I was wondering. If he can't tell me when he's ready and when he wants to try it then how do I know? I'm not going to push him since he has a little brother or sister on the way. But, I'm just curious. Thanks so much!!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• well i know that kids with autism take a long time. butit aslo depends on how severe it is. i know some kids with autims never learn t to be potty train or learn almost when they are 5 or even 10. i suggest you ask your doctor or get in touch with someone who knows how to deal with kids who have autism
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Does he know sign language?
    Anonymous

• If he knows sign teach him the sign for bathroom if he needs to urinate or poop if he needs to have a BM. When he is older (definatly after the baby is born or your just gonna run into regression) take him every 30 minutes or so and right after he eats or drinks. Eventually he will figure it out. I had an autistic boy in my class who was almost 3 and was no where near even being able to think about potty training.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Here's what we did. My daughters have very many autistic like characteristics, they were about 3 before we started potty training. We used both sign and pictures. We started by modeling what we wanted. Myself, my husband and our older typically developing daughter would anytime we needed to use the bathroom, say out loud "I need to use the restroom, or I need to go potty" We would make the sign which I can post a link for and touch the picture of the toilet we had hanging in the hall. We did that for a couple of weeks, then we started taking them every hour. We would say "bathroom time" make the sign and touch the picture. It was a lot of work but eventually they got it.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thanks so much! I'm going to try your approach teamquinn! =) I would love to see that link if it isn't too much trouble.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009