my daughter first tooth is about to fall out and has turned brown... normal or not?

So last week we noticed my 5 year old has a really loose tooth(her first). It is still hanging on for dear life but is very wiggly. Today i noticed it is brown. Are they suppose to discolor before falling out? I figure its not really attached that well and that the tooth maybe changing color because it is basically dead and almost unattached but i do not remember my baby teeth doing this when they fell out. Has anyone experienced this with their child or know if this is something normal.. Should i just pull it out?? Advice please!!! :)

_Renee_

Asked by _Renee_ at 12:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Pull it! Sounds like it isn't getting anymore blood and that its dead. Might as well give it a tug!
    Anonymous

• If it's barely hanging in there and it's turning brown, I would just go ahead and pull it. Besides, if you wait for it to completely fall out on it's own there's a chance it will happen while she's eating or even while she's asleep and she could end up swallowing it. Now, while that won't really hurt her or anything, it's going to be disappointing to her that she doesn't have it to put under her pillow for the tooth fairy, or to show off or anything :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You need to pull it if it is turning brown.
    Anonymous

• Yes - my kids have now lost all of their baby teeth and I don't know why they sometimes turn dark and sometimes not... since in theory they are always dead. I think it might have something to do w/how LONG it's been dead before it falls out. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, I'd say yes - pull it! Here comes the toothfairy!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It is turning dark because ther is no more blood flow. I wouldn't pull it, just the way I feel about it. The tooth fairy always knows you lost a tooth even if you don't have it to put under your pillow. Tooth Fairies know these things..
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 3:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2009