toddler and a cup?

My 27 month old HATES using a cup. If she could go back to a bottle she would. She is over 2 years old and this morning I decided it's time - well Saturday it will be time - because we don't have to go anywhere.
Peer pressure does not work on my kids, they don't care who is doing what!

Any suggestions on what I can do today, tomorrow and Saturday to make this less of a struggle? Because on Saturday ALL (but one emergency) sippy are leaving the house forever!

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 12:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're transition from a sippy to a cup? If that is the case I would make sure your DD is in the kitchen only when she drinks because you don't want to have to clean up the drink from carpet.. :-)
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• What's wrong with sippy cups?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If she would use a cup at all I wouldn't have a problem with it. My oldest took a sippy to bed, but could use an actual cup when needed.
    My 27 month old will not use one at all! It's just a power struggle and if we go somewhere and don't have a sippy cup, she can't drink anything. It's instant tantrum. I want to get over the tantrums here at home.
    But I don't have any problem with kids using sippys as long as they want as long as they can use an actual cup when needed.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We all use mostly stainless steel water bottles; take her to a store and let her pick one out.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• take them away, period. eventually she will get thirsty enough to use a normal cup. But I would be careful where you let her have them at first, she will throw tantrums and the contents of the cup will go everywhere.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, yup that's the plan. I am going to keep one just in case of an emergency. Like if Sunday she ended up in the ER for some unforeseen reason, you never know what is going to happen tomorrow LOL but the plan is Friday night after we come home from the "Ice Cream Social" at school, she'll go to bed and I'm getting rid of them. When she wakes up, it's cup or nothing. And ALL drinking will be done at the table for the next few weeks - that is a rule for everyone in the house.

But I would like it to be less of a power struggle and more of a "Oh I have a cup, wow this is fun" kind of time - wishful thinking I know. any ideas?
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Is she physically able (coordinated) to handle a regular cup? My kid wasn't at that age.

What about a straw cup? What about a sports bottle?

Just some thoughts.
    Anonymous

• What I did was I went and bought a hard plastic cup. that was half open and half closed.mouthed. I saw it at macys .thought it was neat bought it . and it worked. I just sold it last week-end from a yard sale I did, got 50cents for it. and I was trying to get 25 cents for it.I mean the picture on the cup was pretty much worn off but the cup was in great condition it wasn' chipped ,cracked, or scrached. plus she said she never saw anything like it. I was shocked since I got mine at macys. I don't know maybe they don't make them any more, wait my friend said she saw something simular in k-mart ,you might want to check there too.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• mabe take her to the store and show her the kids and let her pick one out.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2009