How many calories does a person burn a day before exercise?

I know that we are supposed to eat X number of calories a day and exercise calories away but how many calaries are we burning just be being - our heart needs some to beat lungs to breath etc.

So my question is how many are being used up with just us being and how many do I actually need to burn off to get in shape?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Average for women in the US is around 2000. I copied this from shapefit.com

Your basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual. It can be looked at as being the amount of energy (measured in calories) expended by the body to remain in bed asleep all day!

BMR can be responsible for burning up to 70% of the total calories expended, but this figure varies due to different factors (see below). Calories are burned by bodily processes such as respiration, the pumping of blood around the body and maintenance of body temperature. Obviously the body will burn more calories on top of those burned due to BMR.

BMR is the largest factor in determining overall metabolic rate and how many calories you need to maintain, lose or gain weight. BMR is determined by a combination of genetic and environmental factors
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You need to determine your own personal BMR (base metabolic rate). Each person's is slightly different. Google "BMR calculator" and you can find one online.

From there, you need to calculate how many additional calories you need to burn daily or reduce your calorie intake. Don't go too low or your body will go into starvation mode and stop burning calories. (For most people that's 500 calories BELOW their BMR calorie intake).

It takes about 3250 calories to burn off one pound of fat, so to lose 1 pound per week (which is a fairly safe rate), you need to use 3250 calories a week MORE than you intake. This sounds like a lot, but for me, my daily activity (minus exercise) burns 1800 calories. (1800X7=12600. 12600-3250=9350. 9350/7=1335 a day)

That means I can eat 1335 calories per day without additional actity and lose a pound/wk. If I exercise moderately, I can eat about 1800 a day and still lose weight.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• GOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! duh
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 5:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009