Are lavish weddings a waste of money?

I was reading a post in another group asking how much various people spent on their weddings and I was actually shocked by the number of women who spent like 20-40 THOUSAND on ONE day.

Even if you are well off, why do you have to spend that kind of money on a wedding? Is it to show off? I don't get it...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 1:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes...spending thousands on a dress that you will wear once, flowers that will wilt in a day, cake that will be pooped out in several hours...complete waste
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think it depends on where you are from and how much emphasis you want to put on it. One of my sisters spent 10-15k on hers because she likes a big party and thats what she wanted. My other sister sent out an e-mail about a month before it happened saying "Hey, we are going to vegas on x date at x chapel, show up if you want." then had dinner afterward. I had a small wedding in my sisters livingroom. (cost 2500). My cousin had the HUGE wedding because thats what was expected for where he lives/what he does (lawyer on the east coast). I know people who describe a "small" wedding as less than 100 people and I know people who's "Big" wedding was 60-80.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yes, they are a waste of money. You cannot put a price on the real meaning of marriage which is love. Regardless how big or small it is, love is the celebration...not how cool everything is/looks.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think if you can afford it without going into debt, go for it. But going into tons of debt for your wedding day is a bit much for me.

I, personally, am more of a focus on the MARRIAGE and building a strong relationship and having an awesome vow renewals, years down the line.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yes it is. I have been married for 24 years and spent less than $50 on my wedding. Who married us (JP) didn't make or break our marriage. Marriage is way more than the wedding day.
    Anonymous

• There would be no way that I would spend that much money on my wedding. I only spent 5 thousand. It is only one day. You are just getting your name changed (if you do that) and share your life with someone else. If I spent 5 thousand on my wedding they the person should havedone the same and spent the other 15 - 35 thousand on a house and other things to have after they get married. They have a wedding for the presents and money to start their new life together. They didn't profit out of their wedding. They probably spent more for the wedding then what they received in gifts.
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• YES-lavish wedding are a waste of money. It is a disgusting waste of money. The most important thing is the MARRIAGE ...AFTER the wedding! Good grief. I saw an airhead woman on a TLC show about wedding dresses (Say yes to the dress, I think)and she wanted a $25,000. wedding dress! Holy moly! What an idiot!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If its something that makes you happy, by all means, spend it. What someone else chooses to do has no effect on my finances. My wedding cost 2k, and very little was done the way I would have liked. If I get married again, I plan on spending as much as I can afford without going into debt tomake sure its the day I want.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• IMO, yes weddings are a waste of money. But if someone wants to spend thousands on their wedding its not like I won't go!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Personally, I would rather save the money for a house,or give a chunk of money to a charity or something worthwhile ....if I could afford to spend a huge amount of money on a wedding, it would be a bit less silly if some of the money was shared with people less fortunate. I would never spend thousands of dollars on a DRESS! And the guests will have just as good of a time WITHOUT an expensive dinner. If they are my friends.
    Anonymous