How do I fix an always leaky night time diaper diaper?

My son is 6 months old and lately it seems my periodic night time checks on him reveal his diaper has leaked at some point during the night. It's not just a little, its like the whole one side of him and the other night it was the whole front of him (waist to armpits). He's not big enough to go to size 4 with the night time huggies (he is only 19 lbs and uses size 3). I'm also noticing that sometimes when he's in his bouncer, he manages to leak through and down one leg. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is there a difference between the snug and dry and the little movers from huggies? Is pampers better? Should I even bother with luvs?

alysiah83

Asked by alysiah83 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the size 4 huggies overnights even though my daughter was only a size 3 at the time. Yes they were big on her but I never had a problem with leaking overnight again.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 3:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I never liked the huggies for this reason...I went with Pampers or parents choice
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• A few thoughts. . .

1. Different brands fit different kids differently. :) I have friends that swore by Huggies. Others that swore the only thing that never gave them fits with their child was Luvs. Personally? I found Pampers the only diaper that meant leak-free with my kids.

2. If he's sleeping through the night you may need a bigger diaper just to accommodate his bladder. ;) Once my kids were sleeping alter at night, they needed a larger size for bedtime than they did in the day. When leaks started it was time to up the diaper size.

Try different brands. Try a new size. See if you've got friends who can trade you a single diaper until you find the solution that works for you.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• buy a waterproof diaper cover like all the cloth diapering mamas do. i suggest Thirsties brand, i cloth diaper and have never had a nighttime leak with this cover
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 1:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I agree with Kimra; we had only one or two leaks with cloth (4 year's worth)

Answer by rkoloms at 2:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We use the night time huggies and go up a size... my son is in size 4 diapers and wears size 5 over nights and we almost never have any troubles.
    As far as diapers... he wears Luvs and we never have any trouble with leaks during the day.
    Also make sure your diapers are nice and snug... too many people don't strap the diapers on tight (the diapers are made to stretch they don't need to be loose)
    And also make sure his penis is always facing down... boys are really good at peeing out the top otherwise
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Huggies always leaked for my DD. I have tried others, but I only use Pampers now(during the day). I use a night time pull-up for DD from Huggies. I have never had a leak when using one at night. she is not potty trained, but get pretty excited to put on her special nighttime underwear! Makes that final diaper change so much easier!!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 11:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My last son was a tummy sleeper and would leak every night. I started putting huggies overnights on him backwards and he quit leaking.
    ZakTuffMavsMom

Answer by ZakTuffMavsMom at 2:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i did exactly what Coppersoul did, and no more leaks. pampers over nights, the 12 hour protection are amazing.
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 3:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2009