No bark shock collar vs. No bark collar with ultrasonic tones (no shock)?

Who has used either one and did they work? My dogs bark like psychos at the neighborhood children and anyone with a dog. When I yell for them to come back in the house, they completely ignore me and I've had enough of it. I want the barking to stop. I know this should go in Pets, but that section is far less traveled than this one. I love my dogs, so I don't want to hear "that's inhumane" and all that. If it was so bad, they wouldn't sell them at the pet stores. The way they bark at everyone, if they keep it up, I'm afraid someone could do something bad to them. We just moved here and already the kids cross the street to walk past my house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I used one years ago. My dog barked all day long and I almost lost my apartment because of him. So I got a bark collar. They were MUCH more expensive then. Anyway, it stopped the barking. Do I feel bad about it? Hell no. We could have been homeless due to his need to bark incessantly at nothing. You people all love to judge when you don't even know the facts. She never said her dogs live outside and even if they did, so far only three people have even answered the question at hand. OP, I don't know why you bothered asking your question here, there's nothing but judgmental b*tches on cafemom these days. Rarely, will you get A) -an answer to your question B)-you will most certainly get a bunch of rude comments (mostly from anons)

I say, get the collar, you can't have dogs barking like that every time someone walks by. My old neighbor's dog was poisoned with rat poison because the neighbors hated the dog.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• All I'll say is that you should put one on first -yell really loud and see what it feels like.... that's what I would do if I was considering it. As far as the barking, while it's in their nature to alert, they don't have to be allowed to just bark their heads off at any and every thing. One method is to teach them to speak on command - this give's them another focus for being vocal - and teaches them that YOU control the bark. Then establish an alert rule with them - my Chihuahua and Catahoula both like to alert - I've taught them to bark a couple of times, them come to me. I did this by establishing a pattern - as leader of the pack - when they bark - I go check it out (yes it required a ba-zillion trips back and forth) but now when they alert - they are looking back waiting for me to come - as soon as they see me they stop and I call them to me - or they will automatically come.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I tried the one that was supposed to shock, but be started by their own bark. Well, there was a delay in it, and by the time the shock started, he was already so wound up that nothing would stop him. I do have remote collars, and there are only 2 very specific times that he barks out of control. I put the collar on and I don't even need to shock him...the collar reminds him.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Pacemyself--I have a baby. I dont have time to spend all day in the back yard. I didn't have this problem at my old place, because we didn't have a large fenced in yard. I always walked them and when I saw people with dogs coming, I always went in the other direction and/or crossed the street. So "training them to bark on command" hahahaha, not an option. If you can't answer the question, then don't bother. I asked a specific question, not for opinions.
    Anonymous

• i got shocked by one of those collars when removing it from my roommates dog. she was not barking when it shocked me. it hurt bad, and this was on my hand- not neck! i would never recommend one and i am not even very fond of dogs!

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well you don't want opinions, but you're going to get one. Putting a shock collar on your dog is like zapping your baby every time s/he cries. If you would do that, go ahead with the shock collar on your dog.
    Anonymous

• I have a neibor who has tried a shock collar and a spray collar and what we found about both is they are both effective IF you are good about replacing the battery and the spray cartridges. If not, they are fairly ineffective because the dog figures out that it probably will have no consequence for barking. We recently adopted a dog and he was debarked, which at first I thought was cruel, but now that i have looked into it, its not as bad as I thought. It doesn't silence them completely, but it does make them much quieter. I have gotten used to the bark, but some people find it more annoying than the normal bark. Just another idea to throw out there.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If your dog is barking out of control, you have to do something. Eventually someone will call the dog warden, and what happens if somehow (not saying your irresponsible or anything, but things happen, fences get broken, etc...) the dog gets out? Personally I would recommend the non shock ones. When I was younger we had a dog that would bark a lot.. and my mom got him a shock collar. I can still remember his reaction the first time it went off, he started yelping and was in obvious discomfort and scared for about 10 minutes after. Granted, the shock ones can be adjusted (ours was on too high cuz my mom misread the directions) and once they figure it out they really don't bark as much because they know what's coming.. but in the spirit of treating dogs as humanely as people, I'd go for the non-shocking ones.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OH and they don't bark to alert. They bark psychotically, loud and almost high-pitched, while chasing the people around the entire perimeter of the yard. Anon, I could give two hoots what you think, so if you feel better for talking smack, then good for you. It doesn't help me whatsoever. This poor old man walks by every day with his two beagles and it sounds like there's a dog fighting ring outside. I have tried to time his walks, to make sure mine are in the house. It's ridiculous. I'm not going to put it on. I'm not the one barking like a psycho. I yell at them to come in EVERY TIME. They know they're not supposed to do it, but they do anyway. They're going to learn somehow. If it takes a zap, then it does. And comparing a barking dog to a crying baby is the most moronic thing you could have said. Well done!
    Anonymous

• Geez, why don't you just remove the dogs vocal chords instead? I mean, G-d, you don't want a dog that barks???? Dogs BARK. It's how they speak to us, it's how they speak to each other and it's how they WARN US. What's the point of having a dog that cannot let you know that there's an intruder? I have 4 dogs. They bark when someone comes to the door, they stop when we answer the door. Of course, I don't keep my dogs outside all day either, They are a part of the family. I don't get having a dog that A) you keep isolated from the family and B) that you don't want to bark. Maybe try bringing them inside instead of putting a shock collar on them? And btw, I was being sarcastic about removing the vocal chords.
    Anonymous