Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fired for your child being hospitalized

My 6 year old daughter has many health issues, and after talking with her doctor today, they are going to be admitting her to the childrens hospital in Madison Wi which is almost 2 hours away from me. I am sitting her waiting for the paperwork to go through for the admit, and I called work to tell them I couldn't come in. I am scheduled to work 3-9 tonight.
They said I needed to find a replacement for my shift which there are only 2 other employees that work there and neither of them can do it. They said if I don't show up they will fire me.
I am so stressed out for everything and on the verge of tears.
What do I do? Can they even do this?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • My son has health issues that require he b hospitalized if he gets a fever. Listen, calm down. Ur daughter needs u b4 any job. If u get fired u get unemployment n u could find a mr flexible job. This was bound 2 happen. Sounds like they could care less about ur daughters situation n u need 2 find a job that doesn't add 2 ur stress! Message me on the side if u wanna talk

    Answer by Vero0724 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • Depending on how much time you have been off, the fereral government has the FMLA law in effect...It allows you to miss up to 12 weeks in a rolling year to provide health care to family members...during that time, they must keep you a position open...granted, when you go back, it may not be the same position or shift...

    With that said, if it is a steady job (not like fast food places, mom and pop shops) like a factory and such. Check into FMLA laws and whether your employer must abide by it.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • I am sure there are a lot of factors that have to happen but yeah I think they can. That is the bad news! I would check and see what you can do about your job after you take care of your LO. It is very stressful to have to worry about a job and a child with health problems. I would try again and see if your co workers can help you or if there is family that can be with your LO so that you can go in and work. I wish you luck!

    Answer by Katysmom at 1:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • Unless you have not worked the required 1250 hours for your employer, you will be covered by the FMLA. You can miss up to 12 weeks in a 12 month period to care for a sick family member (or yourself) without being let go. How long have you worked there? How many sick days have you been off during the past 12 months?

    And if you get fired, you get fired. Arent there more important things to worry about? Your DD needs you, dont stress on your job right now. My son has been hospitalized 10 times so I know how stressful that is in itself, dont worry about work

    Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • Op Here-I have worked there a little of 2 years, but am part time so I only work on average 25 hours a week.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • Yes they can do it, esp. if you don't qualify for FMLA. I know somenoe who did not qualify, got pregnant, had her baby and was fired for missing too many days off work. IMO this is one of the reasons we should be pushing for more, not less government intervention in health insurance, daycare, etc. In France, parents get free daycare from the gov't, as well as free insurance and protectiom from getting fired over stuff like this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • Even if you have worked 1250 hours, if company doesn't employ at least 15 people, they don't have to abide by FMLA, Jaydin Makenna. Just so you know.

    OP...check into FMLA. But if there are other reasons other than missing work for your daughter's health, there isn't much that can be done. Talk to your human resources department.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • If you work that many hours a week you should be good, that means in the last 12 months you have worked about 1300 hours, more than enough to get you covered. It has to be a pretty small business to not fall under FMLA so I would call your local labor office (L&I here) and ask them about it. I would also tell my employer I am calling Labor office as that will protect you through whistle blower laws. Most places I know will back off then because they have to talk to a lawyer before they take another step after that.
    If they are ready to fire you though, they are probably going to do so no matter what eventually. I would start looking for another job now anyway.

    Answer by auroura at 2:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

  • Small businesses have different guidelines than larger companies. You should contact your state’s department of labor for further clarification.

    I hope that your child makes a speedy and complete recovery.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2009