Should I seriously be called selfish over this? (food question)

Me and my 2 daughters just recently moved into a house that my mom will be moving into as well in the next week or so. Huge house. Anyway, we are both on assistance. Both get food stamps. Is it selfish of me to think we can buy our own food and not share them? I get my daughters organic, healthy food, and she gets just whatever. I shouldn't have to just let her dig in to whatever she wants, right? We get separate benifits.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Health

• I agree that this is fine and that it does not make you selfish. I think that it is a sign that you need to set some specific boundaries with you mom (especially if you are going to be living together). Try explaining your reasoning behind your actions (healthy food for your daughters). If she wants to share then maybe you could pool your money and YOU do the food shopping (if you are willing to do so). I would hope that a grandma would not want to deprive their own grandkids from healthy food options and she probably just got her feelings hurt. Good communication is going to be key to try to keep the situation from getting out of control! Good luck Mama! Way to stand up for your girls by the way!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yes you can do that and no it's not selfish
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thank you. :) Mom also got pretty mad at me when I wouldn't let her borrow $20 of my daughter's school picture money that I was damn lucky to get from her dad. Not a fun living situation here.
    Anonymous

• i think legally speaking you cannot share you foodstamp food with anyone. and as for asking to borrow $ ment for your daughter, that is just sad. i am sorry you have an uncomfortable situation. i hope it gets better for you!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• also... as for getting seperate benifits while living together... you may want to look into the foodstamp offices rules. it would be terrible if you got you assistance taken away. when you apply eveyone in the house has to be included in the income info. i could be overthinking it but better safe than hungry!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OP here: We're allowed to get seperate benifits. :) That was an option they gave me when I applied in this new town. They knew me and mom would be living together.

I'm on the waiting list for an apartment so hopefully that comes up soon! I'd much rather live alone with my girls. This is crazy. :P Too much tension.
    Anonymous