Do you think she should be scolded?

My daughter is nearly 2, and has been in a toddler bed for a couple months. She still gets out and comes downstairs when she should be napping, or comes into our room in the middle of the night. She gets put back in bed, and then if she comes out again, she goes into her crib (which she does not get out of). When she comes into our room at night, she crawls in bed with us, but does not sleep- she tries a little, but ends up wanting to play.
My husband thinks she should be scolded when she gets out of bed at night, but I don't think it's a scold-worthy offense. I just tell her, "No Lily- go back to bed" and "Stay in your bed or you're going in your crib".
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Do you think I should scold her for getting out of bed at night?
(New baby is coming in January, and would like to have the crib...)

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 2:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Think for one totally get rid of crib.Let her know baby is going to need it and that she is now a big girl. encourage her that she is going to be your little helper and little helpers have to be big girls and sleep in their big girl beds. And just keep doing what you are doing. She will adventually get it. I got my kids in toddler bed as soon as they could walk good. and they all did that. It just takes getting use to because they think the bars are gone so they are free to do what they want. She will get it. Don't scold because you could make her scared then she will never want to be in her bed alone. Good luck
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• When she gets out take her back to bed every time immediatly! She will learn to stay there.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You seem like a really good mommy. I have a 2 yo Lilly as well. :)
    Supernanny says you're not even supposed to talk to them, just give em loves and put them back in bed with out saying a word. Over and over.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thanks everyone! Good advice! I think I agree I should nix the crib altogether. It will be tiring to have to deal with her getting out of bed over and over and over, BUT, I think that's what it's going to take!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009