How do I take her "binky" away?

DD is almost 3. She has no comfort items except a "binky." She pretty much only uses it at home and generally at naps and bedtime, or any time she sees it she pops it in her mouth. If she's very tired and cranky, it's the only thing to calm her. I think she's getting too old and I hear all the comments from family about the same. Is she too old? What's the best way to take it away?

camiam81

Asked by camiam81 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I took my DD's away, we used the Super Nanny idea and the "Paci Fairy" came and took all of them away and left her a present.
    We had been planning on taking it away for awhile and then one day she lost it at daycare - and didn't really care. So, since we had been talking about the Paci Fairy coming, I just said, well she came to our house and took all your paci's while we were gone and gave them to babies who need them. Then she had a little gift (stuffed animal & purse) when we got home.
    Good luck, I really think it's harder on the parents, because we feel guilty taking something that our children are attached to away, they deal with it much better than we expect.
    Taviesmommy

Answer by Taviesmommy at 4:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Take it away.
    Anonymous

• I just did this with my 3 yr old niece. Okay it depends how often she has it. every two days make it to where she can't have it a t certain parts of the day. I got my neice down to ONLY nap time and bed time. then after three or four days of her getting use to that, I started only at night time. She didn't take naps any more so she had to watch a movie for quite time. Then one night (once she was use to it only at bed time) I said to her, "How about we try bed time with no binki and if you go with out binki we will go and buy you a present" She said okay. Took her almost 2 hours to get to sleep but she never asked for binki because she wanted special present. If she went 2 hours & then finally asked for binki I would give it to her & try again the next night. Then it took about 3 or 4 night without binki to be able to go to bed with no problems at all. Good luck. If you have anymore ? friend me & we can talk more. griffinbb4
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I just went thru this w/ my 2 yr old. At home she kept it in her mouth contantly she could even talk with it in her mouth. My husband hates the binky & they told me at daycare that she hardly ever asked for it there - go figure. So I decided that since she was 2 I would just take it. Friday when I picked her up from daycare I took all the binkies & threw them away. Yes she cried for hours especially at bedtime the first night & my husband wanted to give it back to her but I just ignored it & now she never asks for one. She even talks alot more & it's easier to understand what she is saying. It will not be easy because she will cry & throw some good fts for it but you will have to decide if it is worth it :)
    paiges6

Answer by paiges6 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We took my son's away when he was 2 1/2. We went on vacation. When we got there we told him we forgot it. We had to drive around to get him to sleep. He asked for it for around 2 months. It was hard, but it had to be done. Just be strong and whatever you do, don't give it back. It will only prolong it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• paiges6 illustrated it best. take it away. yes, she'll cry, but the get over it. the world does not end.

it can actually be harder for the child (long term) if you "wean" them off of it, rather than having it gone, and the child accept it.

good luck with that. i have a thumb sucker- and he is 4! its impossible to take a thumb away. he has gotten better about it, and only sucks at bed time, or when he is very upset. it's been a struggle, since i got him back (my ex abducted him- long story, he had him, hiding out for 4 months- LOTS of abuse, and drugs)... anyway, it can be done, thats my point.

maybe try offering her a new comfort item, like a stuffed animal or toy?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• you can try taking it away slowly. and then one day say its lost i can't find it. and try to interest her in something eles. right a way.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• This might sound awful to you, and I dont mean to come off as rude but honestly then ONLY reason she has one is because you give it to her. If you dont and she cries, you feel bad for her and of course dont want to see her sad. Honestly the BEST thing you can do is literally take it away. (not grab it from her hands, trash them during a nap)Throw them all away. I promise you it will be a hard day and night for both of you but in a day or 2 she'll be over it. Seriously. dont YOU be afraid. Have faith in her and KNOW that she can do it. You can try to replace the feeling of lose for her by buying her a new "speical teddy named binky" or something like that. Just take it away. Thats it! Sounds harse, but better than her being in pain a year from now from bad teeth.
    just1forme

Answer by just1forme at 4:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I would go with just taking it away. My son was 10months old and stop taking one. I dont like binkies and if he had not given it up on his own I was taking it away at 12months. he just saved me the trouble.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Pick a day and tell her that on that day the Binky Fairy is going to come and collect all of the binky nipples to give to the smaller children who need them. Since she's a big girl now, she can help the binky fairy out by giving her all of her binky nipples. When she's asleep, cut the nipples off. :) Next day, marvel with her at the great job the binky fairy did and get her a teddy bear or something special to play with and redirect her attention to. Best of luck to you mama!

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009