Halloween is almost here and no money!

I have 5 kids who want to dress up this year for halloween, and I already know we won't have the money to buy costumes. Are there any helps out there, like secret santa type stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Holidays

• Try thrift stores. I think they would have costumes. Or look on craigslist to see if you can find any on there. Can you make homemade costumes?

Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Are there any playgroups in your area? I know members of my playgroup are happy to borrow out costumes.
    Also, Halloween is one holiday where we can easily get away with improvising!
    Here's just one site with some ideas.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Homemade-Halloween-Costume-Ideas&id=332766

Good luck! I hope your kids are able to have a fantastic Halloween!
    GoodMorningSir

Answer by GoodMorningSir at 2:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Dollar stores and look at 2nd hand stores. I don't know of any thing like secret santa for Halloween. Try and find local moms on cafemom and see if anyone has hand-me-downs of costumes depending on age of kids. Could try and put costumes together with things around the house. Let kids help make them to get them excited about it. Good luck
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My kids loved capes and they can play with them after Halloween. I would make them - red Superman, black (Darth Vader, vampire, ect), purple with big stars (magic man), brown cloak
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Do you have any friends or relatives who can make a little something? Think animals out of felt, witches, Little Red Riding hood... if you know a seamstress willing to make stuff for you- that would be ideal.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• make it fun for them... tell them you are going to do homemade costumes and see who can come out with the most creative one or something. just makeit fun for them. we used to make our own growing up... i am 27 btw. LOL! i looked back at some pics and there are some funny costumes.. make for good laugh and its fun!
    Anonymous

• Thrift stores have cheap costumes.

Also, see if your local parenting group has a costume swap. You can gather any old costumes you have and trade them for new ones.

Homemade costumes are fun too. Do you know anyone with a recognizable job who can let you "borrow" their gear for a night? Like a white coat for a doctor, blue shirt for a police officer, suit and dark glasses for FBI, scrubs, a wetsuit, anything like that?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I remember one year when my sister, brother and I all went as hobos and it was fun and free. We took the rattiest clothes we were about to outgrow and got them all dirty then made the classic sack on a stick out of an old sheet. I didn't realize until years later we did that because there was no money for costumes that year.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i am taking 2 cardboard boxes and cutting out head and arm holes. painting them white. then cutting out dots from black construction paper to glue on. They will be a pair of dice. My dd is sooo excited about this!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Do homemade costumes. Why do they have to be store bought? My DD one year went as a laundry basket and took first prize in the most original catagory. We just cut a hole in the bottom on a laundry basket then tied cloth straps to the top so that they went over her shoulder to hold it up when she slipped it on. Then we used safety pins to pin socks and dryer sheets etc to her. It was great!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2009