WIC is not PA - What??

First: I have no issue with either so long as they are not being abused.

BUT - in the newcomers group; I saw a statement from a lady who said "WIC & FS are different; WIC is to help women & children and is not considered PA."

Wait; what? I'm sorry but who pays for WIC? Is it a private agency? Or is it a governement agency? I've not been on WIC so I don't know; I guess I always assumed it was state/federally run; which to me would make it PA.

Again; not saying I personally have issues if you need those services and use them; just wondering about the sentiment...any thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WIC is a federal program paid by taxes and is PA. Taxpayers have to pay for formula for women too ....... to breastfeed. You fill in the blank. Millions of dollars.

The income guidelines for WIC are higher than food stamps. Your household income can be too much for food stamps and you can still get WIC.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well, my only guess for someone thinking that is because it is only allowed for a specific group....Women who are pregnant, infants, and children up to age 5. Children older than 5 are excluded and I dont think men are included either, though they should be if the mother is not in the picture.

Since it's exclusive to just theat group, it's not really "public" in the literal sense. But, thats just a guess.
    Anonymous

• It's still public assistance. It's a public program, and it's assistance. You don't have to pay it back.

If it was given by a church or other organization, it would still be assistance, just private assistance.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OP: Thanks gals; that's pretty much what I thought; I was sort of confused by her comment.
    Anonymous

• my kids are both on wic. i do consider it pa. i plan on getting off soon
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yes, Wic is a form of PA-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• She probably did not know that PA stands for public assistance...or if she did she didn't understand what public assistance was.
    Anonymous