Penicilin and amoxicilin ??

I have tried to look it up and can't really find much I know they are in the same group but what I am trying to find out is if I am NOT allergic to amoxicilin would I be allergic to penicilin ???
I tested positive for Strep B I am 9 months prego and never had it with my 1st pregnancy and my doctor wanted to know if I was allergic to pencilin since that's what they use to treat it during labor. My parents are 80 % I was NOT allergic to it since I took amoxicilin ALOT growing up and my old medical records cant be found that would say if I was allergic or not.
If I said that I wasn't allergic to penicilin and it came to be I was what could it do to the baby ?? Whatever it was I was allergic to it only gave me a mild rash.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 2:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Health

• I believe you can. I am allergic to penicilin, but if i can remember right, I have taken amoxicilin and had no reaction. Its been years so I'm a little iffy, but I'm pretty sure it was amoxicilin. I remember taking it when I was kid.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm allergic to Penicilin and the dr told me I wouldn't be able to take either. The way he explained it to me was that amoxicillin was a form of Penicillin so if you have a reaction to one you'll probably have a reaction to the other.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 2:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• trevsrockinmom, thats what i thought. I had an infection after my c-section and the doctor prescribed me amoxicilin and my mom told me to have them change it because of my allergy. But i swear I remember taking it when I was a kid.

Your best bet is to ask your doctor or pharmacist if it is possible.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I know i am allergic to Amoxicillin but did have the Penicillin shot whne I was younger and was fine but I tell them possible Penicillin.
    You can become allergic as you get older. Luckly I dont get sick often!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my DH is allergic to penicillin and was told he couldn't have either by his doc. well one day he saw a diff doc and needed meds. He told the doc he was allergic to penicillin and the doc gave him amoxicillin. I told him he couldn't have that becaue "his" doc told him they are both in the cillin "family" and he shouldn't take them. He didn't listen to me because the other doc said it was ok, and when he took it he broke out in hives. So I think if your allergic to one your usually allergic to the other.
    lexismommy07

Answer by lexismommy07 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009