Strep B

I have tried to look it up and can't really find much I know they are in the same group but what I am trying to find out is if I am NOT allergic to amoxicilin would I be allergic to penicilin ???
I tested positive for Strep B I am 9 months prego and never had it with my 1st pregnancy and my doctor wanted to know if I was allergic to pencilin since that's what they use to treat it during labor. My parents are 80 % I was NOT allergic to it since I took amoxicilin ALOT growing up and my old medical records cant be found that would say if I was allergic or not.
If I said that I wasn't allergic to penicilin and it came to be I was what could it do to the baby ?? Whatever it was I was allergic to it only gave me a mild rash.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 2:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You could get bad hives and trouble breathing. They would probably give you an antihistamine and maybe steroids, depending on how bad the reaction is. These are both things pregnant women can take.

I've had serious allergic reactions to drugs in the hospital. They are ready to treat them if it happens. Let the doctor know you might have an allergy and he may use a different antibiotic.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my husband is allergic to amoxicilin. i wouldn't use that as something to base your info off of. the best person to call would probably actually be your pharmicist. i don't believe penicilin is even in the same "family" as amoxicilin cause my husband can still take antibiotics, just not anything related to amoxicilin
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I answered this question in Health. I'm allergic to penicilin, but i do believe i've taken amoxicilin with no bad reactions.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i had strep b when i was preggo with 2nd baby but not 1st and they treated me during labor
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am allergic to amoxicillin and sulfa drugs but not penicillin.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2009