How do you know? -- (PA & FS question)

I've seen so many of you say here that you saw someone buying *gasp* junkfood on their FS card. Or wearing fancy clothes while using their FS card.

How do you know? How is it that you know what card they are using to pay with? I mean unless you are the cashier (and I find it hard to believe there are that many cashiers here) how do you know? Are you staring over their shoulder watching? Why? What is it about them that made you so nosey as to go out of your way to see what type of payment they offer for their food?

What about those using Amx; Visa; MC; bank cards; gift cards; do you keep a running tally of how many of those you see used each day and for what purchases too? How can you; as a mom; presumably responsible for your own kids and household have time to keep gather and keep all that information straight? And for what purpose? So you can complain about the random person using PA?

I don't understand...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why would there not be any cashiers here? I only recently left my job as a cashier at Walmart and I know its their card because I check ID
    Anonymous

• it's very easy to see their FS card. You dont have to look over shoulders. As far as the others, AMX, Visa ect, I am not paying for those purchases so I don't care.
    Anonymous

• Food Stamp cards look like a debit card and it's easy to know what it looks like.

A man wrote Ann Landers about how awful it was a mom was buying a fancy birthday cake with food stamps. A woman wrote that it might of been her. It was her daughter's birthday. She was in the hospital dying. The mom didn't have time to make a cake, she wanted to spend as much time with her daughter as possible. It was her daughter's last birthday wish to have a beautiful cake.

Tears.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have no idea. I dont even know how a food stamp card looks like. How in the hell would i know? Unless I'm peeking over someone's shoulder to the point where I'm about to trip over and fall trying to look at the writing on their card. But i think too many people just judge by how the person looks and if they are swiping they automatically ASSume that its a food stamp card KWIM?
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 2:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• How sad Gailll. I truly have nothing against those that have to use them. It really is sad that as a society we have come to judging others before knowing the full story.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OP Here:
    #1: I didn't say there wouldn't be any; just I can't believe there are as many as you see complaining here.
    #2: So you are just a nosey person who honestly looks over your shopping cart to see what every person in front of you pays with? And then say; "Oh it's an Amx; ok they can buy crap food if they want; but so help me if I see a FS card I'm gonna be ticked"?? Really? You spend that much time & energy on this?
    #3: That was my point; FS cards DO look just like debit cards. Unless they are waving it around or grocery stores are designed way differently than they are here; the person in front of you is also in front of your cart; so you'd have to be pretty darn nosey to see which card they are swiping.
    Anonymous

• @2princesnaKing - "But i think too many people just judge by how the person looks and if they are swiping they automatically ASSume that its a food stamp card KWIM?"

OP Here:
    Yes I do kwym and I think that's as close to the truth as we'll get!
    Anonymous

• How would someone know what a food stamp debit card looks like? It's not like it's stamped FOOD STAMPS, PUBLIC ASSISTANCE in huge letters.  It always makes me wonder if it's not "Takes one to know one".  *Shrug*  I have no idea what they look like, nor do I care.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I totally agree with mancosmomma.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• FWIW, we have one store here that basically makes you announce it to the room. Any time you use any kind of card there, they ask you, loudly, if it's credit or debit, and I've seen them make people who try to mumble EBT repeat it because they "couldn't hear them." I find it hard to believe that even though I can hear them from a cart length away with my son nagging me, the cashier can't, but they still do it. This same store also does not offer U-Scan lines, so you have to go through a cashier. Of all the stores I go to, that's the only one where I "know" who is and isn't using EBT, but it's not because I'm looking for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009