Potty Training

How to I get my 2 year old to tell me he has to pee, rather than that he has peed? Occasionally he tells me "gee gee" (which means pee to him) right before he pees, but when I put him on the potty he no longer has to go? Suggestions?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 3:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can always try bribing him with his favorite treat to get him to use the potty.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I try that, then he just stands there and screams to get the treat instead of paying attention to what I'm saying. He's a bit spoiled. (I know...I'm the one at fault there.)

I've been tracking time today to see how often he goes, and it was time for another go...so I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty, and I sat down in front of it..we played patty cake a couple times, then I got up to get the remote and he peed on the floor in front of the potty in the 10 seconds I was up.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• There's a saying: "You can start training at two and he'll be trained at three or wait till he's three and he'll be trained at three".
    I'm all for giving it a try before age three but don't force it if he's not interested. You may also have more luck if you put him on the potty about 15-20 minutes after drinking.
    My twins will be three in November. They've been interested off and on since they were about two but only recently have really been interested and willing to sit on the potty. We use m&m's. I give them one to initially get them to sit and then I put the timer on the microwave. I start with one minute and then go to two, three, and so on. If either loses interest, we just stop, put a diaper back on and move on, no more m&m's. If he whines/cries I simply remind him he has to sit on the potty in order to get an m&m.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009