Need some cheap meal ideas!

So we are trying to stretch aboout 80 dollars till at least next wednesday. I need to shop for dinner for that time period and it's for food for 6 people. Aside from things like the personal pizzas that cost like a dollar, what other cheap idea do you ladies have?

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Spaghetti
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• most pasta dishes..i make a 6 dollar dinner with beef, asian flavor romen noodles and mixed vegis, it feeds four and has left overs, so it should be plenty,....buy a whole chicken and eat chicken, make soup, chicken tacos,....you could try buying meat in bulk and then buying store brand frozen vegis...sandwiches and breakfast items go along way too!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Pot pies are like .88 cents a piece. Meatloaf goes far. Home made chicken soup is cheap to. Hot dogs, Mac-n-cheese.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• www.hillbillyhousewife.com
    Anonymous

• I agree with spaghetti.. Goes a long way.. Also, I just ran across this site yesterday.. Thought it was really neat with all of its sections with recipes and ideas.. Go through it and see if you can come up with anything.. www.kraftfoods.com

Also, check and see if there is an http://www.angelfoodministries.com/  near you and contact them and see if you can get set up with them.  I have heard good things from others about them.

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Whole chicken can be hade into a few meals. Chicken soup or dumplins, ckn casserole, enchaladas. Also mexican dishes are cheeap and can spread.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 3:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• TACOS!! Meat,cheese,lettuce,tomato. We like the corn tortillas fried in oil, or you can get crunchy or flour shells,or some good corn chips. You can add other toppings or hot sauce.
    Food doesn't get wasted because you set it out buffet style and leftovers can be taken to work for lunch or eaten as a snack.

The best plan to get the most out of your budget is to buy meat first_ground beef,chicken,etc and plan meals around that.

Also,roast cooked in a crock pot is cheap n easy-meat,onion soup mix,potatoes,carrots.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 3:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• potaotes stretch a meal too. We like shepherds pie and use the other 1/2 the potatoes for twicebaked potaotes or baked potatoes.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Potato & Leek soup ~ I've made 3 different recipes, and I love 2 of them the best (one's in a slow cooker!). All you really need to get (if you don't already have them) are: potatoes, leeks, onion (for the slow cooker recipe), & evaporated milk (also for slow cooker recipe). (You can find the recipes on my blog: http://missadventures-in-cooking.blogspot.com)

A few other good ideas I learned from my dad ~ along with the spaghetti ideas: spaghetti with chili on top (instead of pasta sauce), spaghetti with hamburger patty (or sausage patty) & gravy on top, or simply spaghetti with heated up diced tomatoes & parmesan cheese (it's a bit lighter than traditional pasta sauce).
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 10:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009