Homework time - kinda sorta

This week is way too involved to try and ask part of the question here. It wouldn't work without everyone having access to all of the reading that goes with it. So instead, a very oversimplified take on this week's topic:

What defines "religious experience?" Meaning, what is it that allows someone to look at an experience or event and be able to say that because of x, y, or z, it is a religious experience because that does not happen in any other type of experience.

Rules as always - no bible passages, must be universal to all instances of monotheism, not just one single faith.

And if anyone is really bored and wants to see the "big picture" of the week, look up Otto, Schleiermacher and Eckhart on what makes something divine.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Transcendence...In order to have a truly transcendent experience though there must be duality. It has to contain both good and bad. Any true religious experience must be transcendent, regardless of the religion.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i think everyday is a religious experience. i'm alive my kids are safe and the lord blesses me everyday. i count my blessings one by one and sometimes i miss the blessings cause i don't recognize them but they are there with me everyday. in hard times i don't say i'm not having a religious experience or even in good times. in good or bad i am living one every day. like i don't get in a car accident, not robbed, have a house, i woke up, kids safe, husband has a job, i have a great faith, my church etc. what makes something devine should be measured by ourselves not by others especially those i don't know.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• So a divine experience is the absence of bad things happening?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am muslim and believe everything comes from Allah...good and bad.and nothing happens without his knowledge or experience. So there is nothing that is absent of religion in my life. but i'll give you a for instance of how i tie everything into Allah.

the other day my husband was at the library all day long, trying to finish a project he is working on. He told me he would not come home till the library closed. Then he called me and said he would be coming home to shower and eat at home in 30 minutes he didn't feel like eating in the street. When he got in the area , his nephew from down south called him saying he was in our area about 5 minutes away and needed our address. We say it is from Allah that my husband was right outside the house when his nephew called. put him in the place he needed to be even though my husband had a different intention and a different plan. We say we plan but Allah plans a different plan
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Even when something bad occurs we say this is from Allah .. He knows and we do not. We praise him for it and we thank him and we supplicate to him to help us through it and to allow us to pass the trial and test. This is a way of life for the muslim in every instance...of course some of us haven't learned that yet and some of us forget and some of us don't care and or don't fully believe but for the most part the muslim who knows his religions, believes and tries to act according to it, will think this way and act upon it.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• above should have read --Nothing happens without his knowledge or permission (not expeirence) oops. LOL
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Here is how I think of it:
    When God gives you insight...a leading of the Holy Spirit. It can happen when:
    You realize that a prayer has been answered, just not in the manner you expected and then you think back/look back and are amazed at what God has done.
    When you pray and ask for His word, open the Bible and see just what pertains to you at that time. Not by chance but by leading.
    When you are given something to do or say to someone who needs help in some way and it seems to come from somewhere other than your own mind.
    When you keep having the same issue/answer come up. You finally heed/obey and things move along.
    Just taking in nature and observing all God's creations.
    It can be any number of things, big, small, subtle or not.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Good one, OneToughMami. I can agree with that.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• ^^ WOOOO....

Oh NP, I was trying to think of the person who discussed transcendence and then yeah I forgot. But um Pargament's Conversion of Significance is interesting lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009