CIO or NO

I understand some people do not use CIO. Although, if you do, how long do you let them cry before picking them up? I dont want to hear why its good to use CIO or not, just how long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went up in increments. I started at 5 min, then went to 10, and then 15. Now, she knows the routine and just lays down and goes to sleep with no problem.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Then why ask CIO or No?

While I don't believe it in, I think that once you decide to CIO, you have to let them go until they fall asleep... I think you can check on them here or there, but you can't get them once you start, that only teaches them how long they need to cry before you're going to come.

FWIW, I don't agree with it, you are a parent 24 hours a day.
    Anonymous

• i dont cio. is not for me.but i think i might have to with my almost 3 yr old.am still trying to figured out how i can puther to bed withoutme having to lay down with her
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I've let my son cry up to 2 hours. And anyone who doesn't agree with it, Didn't have MY child. I wouldn't do anything that would harm him NOT EVER. I think this is a subject people can't understand unless you have a child who won't sleep or wakes up 6 times a night and it starts affecting their development and behavior. sometimes drastic measures NEED to be taken. I AM a parent 24 hours a day. You can tell because I am the one crying outside his room everynight he had to cry it out.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I can say that anything over 45 minutes is abusive, personally I would say 5 min but we all have a skewed sense of what is right. As far as the CIO advocates they say it is 45 minutes and NEVER anything over that amount. This is also while being checked upon every 5 to 10 minutes. Leaving a child to cry without comfort is inherently wrong. Have you read No Cry Sleep Solution? It may offer a better alternative to both mother and child.

Anonymous