Should I let my daughter go?

OK here goes. My daughter is 13 and wants to go to the midnight premier of New Moon (I can and would take her but am not sure if I should). I did not let her go to the midnight premier release party of Twilight on DVD ( a big deal here if not in your area) because I did not think it was age appropriate. Then come to find out all of her friends and their mom's went and I kind of wished I had taken her... Anyway, it will be so late and the next day is a school day. Her friends who are going are being allowed to skip school the next day - a definite no no to me. So my question is should I let her go to the premier and then go to school w/only a few hours of sleep? This is the only real option for me and it seems like a bad idea to me but I don't want to regret my decision so I am looking for input. Thanks ladies!

momrocks1000

Asked by momrocks1000 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Kids sometimes ask for things that aren't harmful to them, but that do interfere with their other expected behaviors, etc. A parent who refuses to give a little here and there can fully expect that their child will resent them. On one hand she's gonna miss some sleep, be tired and cranky the next day; on the other hand, she's a really good child, this is a once in a lifetime sort of thing to her, and it means a lot to be able to be included in such exciting things at her age. Seems like a no-contest . Lose a little sleep v. being rewarded because she's proved she can be trusted - Let her go (or go with her if you feel the need to supervise) but definitely make sure she doesn't miss this opportunity. Trusting, showing you can grow as a parent as she grows as a young lady is important to your relationship. Don't make the exception the rule tho - let her know you're making this an exception and not to expect it always
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If she's a good kid, good grades, and all that and you are willing to go, take her! I bet you'll both have fun. Have her nap that night before the movie, that way a few hours of no sleep wont be so bad.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• honestly...i would base my decision on how well my daughter is doing in school and attitude wise....if my daughter was a good student and had been behaving herself...i would let her go to the midnight showing, and maybe even let her get extra sleep and bring her to school late...or if thats not an option let her skip school but get the homework or anything that will be missed on that day....but it would be considered a treat as a type of reward if shes been doing good lately....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I would tell her school is a must (work first then play) but i'd also suggest maybe a snooze before/after dinner before it is hit up. that would help the tired part. As long as you think your child is responsible enough to handle the up allnight and no sleep part in school and you know you wouldnt be getting the calls from school. My daughter knows that i'd let her do something out of the ordinary but she best do whats important if she wants to be allowed to do it again.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Iwould take her. Its a one time thing and she knows it is a big deal and not something you will do all the time. I agree with above posters..only if she is doing well in school. she can go to bed early the next night.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OP here - thanks ladies. This is the first time I have asked a question on here and I was a little nervous but I am glad I did. By the way, I guess I should have said that she is a very good girl, mature, responsible, excellent grades etc. No reason what so ever that I should not allow her a special treat like this. I just felt guilty about making her go to school on no sleep. Thanks for the advice!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Just make sure she takes a nap the night before the movie and after school the next day to make sure she catches some of her missed ZZZZZZZ's.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• as long as her grades are good and she isn't in any trouble with you i think she would like it and i agee with MommyLee08 have her nap a couple of hours before than that night won't be so bad. and maybe if you allow it she could miss the fist hour of school to get just a little more sleep but that is totally up to you:) i am a big fan of the twilight saga so you'll have to let me know how she liked it if you take her :) GL on your decision :)
    Sami_lue87

Answer by Sami_lue87 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I would take her and i would let her stay home if she has good grades but i would tell her that if anything happens where she doesn't make up the work from the day she missed that she would be grounded from eerything for like a month. and i would make sure she understands that it is a ONE TIME thing....I
    Anonymous

• GO W. YOUR MOMMY INSTINCTS. EXPLAIN TO YOUR DAUGHTER YOUR DECISION & WHY. aND REPLACE IT W/ SOMETHING GREAT AS WELL. WHO CARES ABOUT THE OTHER MOMS. THERE WRONG! AND THEY WILL BE PAYING FOR IT IN THE LONG RUN. YOU SOUND LIKE A GOOD PERSON. GO W/ YOUR MIND. NOT YOUR HEART. YOUR HEART IS TREACHEROUS. YOUR DAUGHTER WILL GET OVER IT. AND YOU HAVE TAUGHT HER A GOOD LESSON. :)
    giannasbabyboo

Answer by giannasbabyboo at 8:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2009