HOPELESS....

My DH has been out of work for 6 months. I go to school full time. We are on state assistance. Now that my DH works (minimum wage) our assistance and his paychecks are 300 bucks less that when he was out of work. Is this fair?? People with no motivation gets more money that families that search hard to find a job. We both go to school, so its not like we are not trying. We cannot pay all the bills. My question....we can move to Chicago and stay there rent free in my mom in laws vacant condo. Here my family cannot help financially. I got over a year till I get my degree. (I go online so I can do school anywhere.) Shouild I leave my hometown? I am so confused. We have had struggles the 5 years we have lived in WA. Any advice is welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know how unfair it is! I went thru the same thing this past winter. My hubby was out of work (construction) and he had applications in everywhere. I was only working part time (that was all i could get) We were on assistance because of this He finally gets hired, as a dishwasher at a restaraunt (not his first choice, but it was something!) Of course the assistance went down and we were getting less, including his pay! Its so frustrating to think of the people who just sit and collect without trying to work. He busts his ass and we get less??!! Oh well, he eventually moved up in the restaraunt and is now cooking on the front line!!! We stopped getting cash assistance all together, but we still get food stamps (THANK GOD) ANyWay Maybe you should consider moving if will help, even if its just til you get on your feet. Its up to you, I know we have had to struggle and its very hard but it can be done, good luck !
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Moving cost money. Have you thought of that?
    Anonymous

• Yes our system is ridiculous. I agree with you. If I were you I'd take the free rent and put the money you save from not paying rent into a high interest savings account and buy a home of your own when you can. If you can go rent free do it! You can always move back home! Even if you stay there six months think of all of the money you'll save in those months.
    Anonymous

• Chicago has brutal weather. Heating and cooling cost a lot. I grew up in northern IN near Chicago. The pollution is bad. I would never want to live in Chicago.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Born and Raised in Chicago. If it's Cook County you would move to STAY The hell away as the taxes on EVERYTHING there is 35+% higher than anywhere else and if they get the olympics? The taxes are going to go even higher. Food tax, gas tax, liquor tax, property tax. They are going to tax cook county to DEATH to get the billions they will need to host the olympics.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• YOU are young!!! So go & liive rent free get your education & start making plans 4 ur good living. You are right about those peeps who do nothing & get more. BUT!!! who cares. Thats NOT you. Be thankful. You two are hard workers. Continue that & PLEASE help others to work hard as well. You will make new friends & a new life & you two can always go back to your home town once your schooling is done & you foind your awesome job! Your thinking awesome. Much success! :)
    giannasbabyboo

Answer by giannasbabyboo at 8:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Go and live rent free. You will be able to finish school, pay the utilities and maybe even save money. Why wouldn't you take your MIL up on her offer of FREE RENT. Which if she is in the actual city of Chicago, could save thousands of dollars in rent money.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yes, Sweetie. I know its not fair, but soon enough you'll be making money and not be struggling no more.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 11:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Come to Chicago! It is a great city; you can easily live without cars (a huge savings). Send me a message offlist if you want to chat further.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It isn't much, but hey, it's free and it's something! I do both of these:

and

Anonymous