to go or not to go to the hospital?

ok yesterday at my 39 wk app the dr stipped my membranes and suggested castor oil, last night i'm pretty sure my contractions started, or at least what i believed to be contractions, but now they are anywhere from like 2 minutes to 10 minutes apart but not really intensifying, at least not that i've noticed. any suggestions on what to do?

smltwnmom

Asked by smltwnmom at 4:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt go to the hospital if they arent consistant, arent intensifying and arent lasting longer. Its probably your bowels
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Call your Dr. and find out when he/she wants you to come in. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• At this point don't go in until you can no longer talk during contractions.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• What did the castor oil do?  I'm so confused, lol.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Wait it out! You will know when its time. When your water breaks (if it does) or if the contractions are consistantly about 2-3 min apart is when its probably good to go!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• castor oil frequently leads to cramping and diarrhea- not really what you want to deal with with labor. I'm surprised that the dr recommended it because all that I've worked with say to stay away from it as it doesn't make labor fun for you or the staff!!

If you're not progressing, they'll send you home again. Which is an extremely frustrating feeling! Better to wait at home until they're closer and more intense!
    ryras_mommy

Answer by ryras_mommy at 4:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I was told not to go to the hospital until your contractions are consistently 3-5 mins apart for at least 1 hour, or your water breaks. I waited till mine were 3-5 mins apart before I went in and when they checked me, I was 4cm. I was happy I waited because 1. they didn't send me home, and 2. I was much more uncomfortable at the hospital.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Walk walk walk and Oh Yea! Walk some more. Walking will help induce labor faster than anything and your Dr is NUTS for suggesting castor oil as it is a poision when used in large doses to induce labor.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The contraction pattern should iron out to be more consistant.
    This could happen right away or in a week.
    Or it could stop and begin again later on.

Castor oil is known to dehydrate. You might be having contractions as a side effect from that. Be sure to drink a lot of water!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2009